Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSDOS APPS GOOD ON ONE MACHINE, NO GO ON OTHER 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNN

Programmer
Sep 13, 2000
US
I have 2 msdos apps that work good on my laptop but not on my desktop. Both machines have win 2000 pro but the desktop has service pack 3.

On the desktop I invoked the dll per Microsoft article Q279792, which is supposed to give msdos compatibility. This feature is supposedly part of the service pack3. Did no good!!!!

Any help please.
TNN, Tom

TOM

TNN,

I still run the 16-bit version of KEDIT on my SP3 laptop and desktop without using the DLL that you mentioned.

Here are a few things you can check to see what's wrong.

Compare %systemroot%\System32\Autoexec.nt and Config.nt between your laptop and desktop.

Check the properties of your working DOS app. Especially the Screen, Memory and Misc tabs

Post back if you still have problems.

Good luck,

Ian

Ian,
Compared files %systemroot%\System32\Autoexec.nt and Config.nt, no difference btwn laptop and desktop.

Not sure what you mean by "check properties". All I have to start dos program is an .exe file. dos App does not allow me to adjust any properties.

TNN, Tom

TOM

Tom,

Browse and find your DOS app exe. Highlight and right-click and click properties. Go to the Memory Tab.

Now you can set "conventional memory size", "environment size" , "ems", "xms" and "dpmi". Check Screen and Misc.

Somewhere between the two you will find a difference.

The Quick way to do this is find the App, right-click and create shortcut. The shortcut should 'mimic' the exe and then you can copy it to your desktop. Use the shortcut to start your app and it should set the properties of the actually app. NOTE: This works Most of the time !!

If not, you will have to set it up using the properties.

Ian

Another trick - just find the LNK and PIF files from your win desktop folder on one machine and copy them over to the other. Works even between Win98 and Win2000, XP, etc.

I do it all the time with about 15 different DOS applications.

Ian,
Copied the shortcut used for the msdos app on my laptop, that works good, and pasted it to my desktop that has the same msdod app that was not working. msdos app on my desktop works fine now.

Thanks again Ian.

Still have one msdos app on my desktop that will not work. Comes up but screen display all garbled.

TNN, Tom

TOM

Tom,

Just out of interest, what app is it ?? Do you run it in a window or full screen ??

You could also try un-ticking "fast .." and "dynamic .." on the screen tab.

Ian

Ian, "full-screen" gets garbled screen, "window" gets 1/3 screen size but is not garbled. Unchecked fast & dynamic, no help.

Think I will humble myself on this one and go to app provider, "Axcent Accounting Softawre". I believe they are saying should work on win2k pro.

TNN, Tom

TOM

Tom,

Try this trick. Double-click on your "windowed" shortcut. Go to the extreme top-left corner, click and choose properties and go to the Layout tab. Untick "Let system .."

By changing the Window buffer and Size, you should be able to get almost a full screen. Double-clicking on the Title Bar will resize to the settings that you change.

When you click OK, save for future use.

I did this with Kedit, to get around a FS font problem.

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back