Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MsComm sharing hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRudisill

Programmer
Aug 4, 2003
US
I have two apps that need to reference a LCD display. Both can be run at the same time. Unfortunately if I open the port in one app I get a error when I try to do the same in the other. Is there a way that I can share that port between apps so I can talk to the port from both? They are running in two different exes so there is no way I can share the object.

Maybe make a COM server (separate app) which actually updates the display, and send the COM server messages from the two separate apps.
Otherwise, you will have to test for availability, then open and close the port in each app.
Only one app at a time can have a port open.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

You can use MAILSLOTs (from win9x) or PIPE (only on NT and up) technique. You can send "messages"=data between programs very simply. I have class for it, I can send it to you.
Your application can try "Open com" and when you can not open it, you can send data to other application by Mailslot.

Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back