Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSComm Control Phone Dialer App Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PammyBoy

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
Hello All!

Okay, from the helpful info received from my last thread regarding this subject I've managed to write a simple VB app that'll dial a phone number and let me communicate with the other person. Now, how do I check for a "busy" signal? How do I check for the other signals? Is there a reference for this somewhere on the web? Thank you in advance.

- Tom

Assuming you're using a modem to dial the number... the modem generally will detect a busy signal, and should also send back ring detects as well... I wrote a phone dialer in QuickBasic 4.5 a while back (a long while back!).

I'm assuming you are sending your dialing commands via the comm port just like I did... you should also be listening to your comm port. The modem is telling you what's happening. Tuna - It's fat free until you add the Mayo!

Here's more...

Again, I'm assuming that you are using the mscomm control.

Using said control, you send data using .Output and you read data using .input.

There is an event called OnComm that notifies you of communications events AND errors. MSDN will give you all the constants for each of the possible events and some idea when/why/how to make use of them.

Have fun! Tuna - It's fat free until you add the Mayo!

Thanks for the tip. I've been searching the MSDN library online and I found info on MSComm and the OnComm event, but I can't the property for a busy signal. Could you please provide a little more assistance? Thank you.

Tom

The reference for raw modem control signals is the Hayes AT command set. There is a good reference on this at:

Do a page search for BUSY

'People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.'

I could be wrong about this (it's been a long time), but I beleive the modem just returns text that says BUSY when it detects a busy signal.

Hope this helps. Tuna - It's fat free until you add the Mayo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back