Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSCE Certification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2003
US
This is kind of off-topic but I hope some of yall can help me. My boss wants me to get MSCE certified. The company will pay for classes, tests, and travel. Who, in yalls opinion, has the best MCSE classes? I don't want to do the boot camp, I want to take classes in person or online. I was looking at globalknowledge but i didn't know if anyone else had good MCSE training. Thanks

Indeed instructor led courses depend a lot of how good is the instructor.
But, that environment, will help you more. They have prepared all sort of situations that otherwise will not be so easy to simulate them.
I also didn't obtain my MCSE going to a class,... but was because I payed myself all, my company is not interested in "such a people".

Of course, is your choice. I would choose instructor led. Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

I would highly recommend checking out local Community colleges as a very economical way to get the instruction at a pace you can absorb, both mentally and dollar wise. Do not try to use one of these 3day or 5 day cram courses to learn the material, you will just waste your money, there is just too much material (new!) to absorb. I do not know about your area, but here in Silicon valley the schools offer two or three different courses in the evenings each quarter to work toward the MSCE certifications, and it is dirt cheap. About 90% of the cost is in the books, not the training, so watch where you spend the money, and AMAZON.com is an excellant source for used books to help there. These texts are costly, and you need at least 7 different areas to get the coverage fo rthe exams. Good luck.

I'm currently getting mine through TechSkills (NOTE: I am not advertising nor would I get paid for it). Its not a 2 week cram session and its more self paced than a traditional college/instructor course. There are no set class hours but the site does have business hours (open till 9pm). You do the work; and books, training CD's, mentors, preptests and a bank of computers are provided to do labs. Its just another type of training you can check out. I do not recommend the boot camps. There is tooooo much to learn to fit into 2 weeks.
Currently I've got 70-210,70-216,70-217,70-218 and am working on 70-220. Any suggestions on the electives? I'm debating on either the exchange electives or the sql server electives. Note: if I do the sql server electives it would give me a double certificate MCSE and MCDBA. What do you IT guys say?

Iwent to the Global Knowledge boot camp for MCSA 2k. It was pretty good, the instructor was really informative and new his stuff. But you still have to prep before you go, the books that they send you are pretty intense and thorough. But they way that they train you is to the test, which in it's self isn't to bad as long as you have a solid understanding of the material that is in the books. Some people may feel like it is not for them but I enjoyed it and am going to take more courses from them. My cert is the same as if someone spent 3-4 months in a community college to attain, and it is probably close to the same amount of time that is spent in the classroom it's that you just have to apply yourself before you start (recommend 3-4 months if no experience) the course and read the books and anyother material that you can obtain. Good luck
Tony

Well I have taken CCNA classes from GlobalKnowledge before and I thought they were really good. I'm not a boot camp kind of person, and cost is not an issue as my boss told me to get whatever. As far as the electives go I'm going to take the exchange one because I have implemented exchange2k already and currently in the process of moving e2k to a new server. I'm just dreading the configuring active directory stuff..BLAH!!!

I went to a school called New Horizons. I believe there global. Instructor led courses. My 70-210 & 70-215 were taught by a very good man who was on the W2K team who wrote w2k pro and server, so he really new his stuff. My 70-216 class was taught by a local instructor, and I was explaining things to him. You can now take 4 courses and get your MCSA, kind of a stopping point between MCP and MCSE. That's what I'm shooting for now, then I'll worry about the MCSE. Currently have passed 70-210 and 70-215, using Transcendar for the 70-216. Very good stuff. Good luck to all. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"It's not what you look at that
matters, it's what you see."
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862); US essayist, poet.

avoid the bootcamps that promise to teach you mcse in 6 weeks they go through the $200 books you can buy at most bookstores and charge you thousands, definetly not worth the wasted bucks for you or your company

I personally think that the MS certs are meaningless and don't hold merit HOWEVER, going through the process of getting the certification can be more rewarding than the cert itself if you're in a classroom type environment that promotes comraderie.

Networking is a key skill and I still talk to my friends I made going through my certs.

p.s. I've never had a company call me from the MCSE contact list like MS said they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back