Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSC card has issues??help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCMguy123

Technical User
Apr 11, 2008
Help??

Have a BCM 1000 that worked fine. Has some nice upgrades on it(thats why we're trying to salvage). Recently, not sure when it happened, but looked to do a keycode upgrade(s/w version 3.7 btw) adding a 64 seat mailbox key and in the section where it shows you the "system identifier", it says "unavailable". Did some research and got from another source that the MSC card may have a "cold soder joint" on the chip the has serial number on it. Supposedly Bios or main processor chip. Does anyone know what that chip is?? If not, how does one determine that??Have a local PCB company that can hit, or re-flow the chip, just need to know what one we're dealing with. Have seen many smart people on this forum and hoped maybe someone may know answer to that. Any help appreciated.....PS Forgot to include that if you bump the box and reboot, sometimes it shows up. (and the cold soder joint thing sounded like a good possiblity). Did not want to burn a good code to an MSC thats bad if we're gonna have to get a new one... Thx

If the MSC is bad which I don't think it is as I have had this problem about 2 or 3 times. I reseated the MSC and reimaged the HD and it started working again.

Have you tried using the BCM Monitor Program to see the MSC and see if it shows the SN and other info?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Thanks Ace,
As I mentioned the unit does work; just not everytime now. I reseated card, does not seem to make a big difference; but what does work is if I give the card a tap/hit (like Fonzie did with the jukebox). I tried another drive and re-imaged, but have same problem, so I went back to drive with our programming on it. Really seems like this "cold solder joint" remedy warrants merit. It justs does seem like something lose on MSC. Do you know what chip is the serial # chip thingy/ processor?? My boss does not want to burn this new mailbox code until that problem is remedied and it works consistently for a week ; with a few bumps and reboots. He wants it to work everytime. Let me know, you are the man who knows everything BCM. Thx.

Did you use the BCM Monitor program to see the SN yet?

Yes did try the BCM monitor. Works sometimes. It all comes down to if I bump it or hit the right(or wrong)way, the system identifier sometimes says unavailable. Do you know what chip that might be so i can try that fix?? After that if it does not work; I may be forced to change. Let me know or anyone out there who may know please. Thx

Use a pencil with an eraser on it an move it gently over all the parts until you find the one that might be loose.

Ace,
tried pencil thing; could not seemingly find any loose parts. The company who gave idea about cold solder joint is willing to try re-flowing, but they need to know what chip to re-flow. Do you know what that chip is?? Just a direct yes or no please. I tried everything else you asked and we're looking to get this issue resolved. Thanks

The MSC is plugged into the MB and when you tap it it could be something on the MB thats loose. tap around the MB and see if something happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back