Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSAccess97 FIELD SIZE DILEMMA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesaarnold

Technical User
Oct 9, 2001
US
My problem is I have an MSAccess97 database with several text boxes in the forms..What I need is to exceed the field size of 255 characters.

My users have to be able to input text that exceeds 255 characters in each of these text boxes..But I have no idea how to make this is happen..Is it possible, or will I have to create a second text box in each form to fit all the information (something like a continuation of the original text box)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James

change the "data type" of your text fields to "memo" in the bound table design view and your users will be able to enter much more than 255 chr.

best of luck

sher2win

I've tried that but when I run my queries I got a "can't group on memo or ole object"..So I went into the query and changed it to and expression, and several of the other options...and it doesnt work properly..It wants something in the "total" field in design view of the query..

Do you have a grouped query as the recordsource of your form? Does the error generate when you open the form or when you run a query?

I'm sorry I should have been more specific.

After I changed the field property from a text box to a memo, I saved the table..It saved ok..When I went into the data input form, it would still only save 255 characters (not unlimited characters)..That was my first problem.

So I went into one of my queries (yes a grouped query), that is when I got the error (there is an error executing the command)..

So if I change the field back to a text field, everything works normally..

Thanks for any help!

Jim

Actually I was wrong about the second part...

So I went into one of my queries (yes a grouped query), that is when I got the error (Can't group on memo or ole object) and it refers to the field that I just changed to a memo field in my table)

So if I change the field back to a text field, everything works normally..

Here is a something you can try:

1. Change text field to memo.
Can you enter more than 255 chr directly into the table?

If so

2. Delete text control off input form. Drag and drop the deleted field from the field list back onto the input form.

If not...I'm without answer.

When I try. I can't replicate your text to memo problem. This would be my only suggestion. Some property may be set wrong or there is a contraint in code behind the form.

As for your query issue, access will not let you group on a memo field. You'll have to take that field out or not group the query.

Let me know your progress.

sher2win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back