Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSA2012fc Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

creedless

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2009
PT
Hi,

I have a MSA2012fc unit with several AJ738A (500GB) SATA disks.

These disks are Seagate ES.2 series with an HP Hot Plug caddy/tray.

Does anyone know if i can replace those disks with the 1TB version of Seagate's ES.2 keeping the original caddys?

My only doubt is if somehow the caddy is "locked" to a 500Gb disk?

Does anyone ever tried this?

Regards

Not saying you can't, but this is a HP fiber channel SAN. If I'm not mistaken, the hard disks sku(s) are different than that of even their regular servers even though they are SAS or SATA drives for that chassis (again I might be wrong, I haven't checked in a while). The SAN runs a proprietory linux OS and I'm sure the hard drives have firmware code to work with that OS, etc...
My first guess is that that it won't work, not because of the caddy, but because of the firmware coding on the drives to match up with the MSA SAN OS.

Most vendors have indeed special firmwares running on these disks, and when an "exotic disk" is inserted, you even risk that the system shuts down if you leave the disk in there. So certainly not advised to go experimenting with that :)

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

For me, I would always be suspicious of that SAN now if anything quirky would happen. Not saying anything will, but again, HP has their own firmware they implement on their drives and having a "foreign" disk in there would make me skittish. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back