Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS2151 Auto Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntbill

Instructor
Mar 6, 2000
US
Is any one else having a problem with the scripts for 2151. The Instructor system seems to go ok the the student systems fail at dcpromo. Any sugestions

You need to make sure that you are completing the setup of the student machines in the order specified by Microsoft's education team.

What happens in this course is that your student machines for the domain namerica1.nwtraders.msft are Vancouver and Denver. The Vancouver server has to have the setup scripts completed (thus creating the child domain) before you can start the Denver server scripts running. The reason for this is that when the setup script executes dcpromo on Vancouver, it is actually creating the child domain namerica1.nwtraders.msft. The setup scripts on Denver should not be run, until Vancouver is completed. This holds true for spacific1.nwtraders.msft, asia1.nwtraders.msft, etc.

If you run the scripts following the order that the mocset.bat setup script screen displays, you will be okay.

It was a little frustrating for me, too, the first time I setup this course! Once you are over this hump it is smooth sailing. It's a fun course to teach.

Good Luck,

Deb Onderko, MCSE, MCT, CNE, CNI
Computer Data, Inc.
donderko@computerdata.com [sig][/sig]

I'm also experiencing difficulties setting up MOC 2151.

Though, I am not getting anywhere close to dcpromo... :(
London automated setup ran fine, and I can boot to London from the target computer which will be Vancouver.

However, after running X:\MOCSET.BAT and answering the initial prompts about classroom number (1), city name (A), domain model (3), confirm (Y), I receive the following error message:

----------------------------------------------------------
The script file specified with the /u command line switch
could not be accessed.

Unattended operation cannot continue.

Setup cannot continue, Press ENTER to exit.
----------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone seen this before or have any idea why I'm receiving the error?

I ran X:\MOCSET.BAT /DEBUG and viewed the log file but it wasn't too helpful...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Ron Krizan
MCSE, MCP+I
e-mail: krizan@krizan.com

If you hit the same problem as me then you will find that at the end of the log file there is a line saying "0 file(s) copied".

This was due to the MOCSET batch file reaching a set of 6 XCOPY commands where it tries to xcopy all the setup files (including the script file with the /U command)from LONDON to the client, but I hadn't put XCOPY.EXE, XCOPY32.EXE and XCOPY32.MOD on the network boot disk ... so the copies failed. Hence, the script file fails to run.

The Setup Instructions in the Classroom Setup Guide do indicate that you should put the XCOPY files on the Network Boot Disk but ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back