Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word to pdf. format

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcginn

Programmer
Apr 6, 2004
Is there a way to export a Word document to pdf format? I saved it as a Word document, but Acrobat reader won't open it - invalid file format. I tried saving it that way from Word, but pdf isn't one of the options to save as.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

kmcginn

Your either going to have to spend money on Acrobat Writter (Expensive) ir have a searh around for some free software that will do the job such as pdf995 or one of a number of others.

Several options
1. download pdf995 from this is a free PDF printer

2. download openoffice.org from this is a free office suite similar to microsoft office. You can open your word document in it. Openoffice.org has the built in functionality to export as a PDF.

3. Go to Adobe.com You can sign up for free to their online PDF printing services. You get 5 free PDF creations. You send you file via their website, and they create the pdf for you. They then email you a link to where you can pick up you PDF file.

I've sucessfully done all three with out any problems. Hope this helps.

Kevin Petursson

My 2¢ worth. Never tried pdf995 but found this on their site:

All three products are available as FREE downloads. The free versions display a sponsor page in your web browser each time you run the software. If you would prefer not to see sponsor pages, you may upgrade by obtaining individual keys for each product at any time for $9.95 each. A suite key sold for all three products is also available for $19.95. Purchasing also entitles you to email support by software engineers (12-hour response time).

Personally, I use PDFCreator by Sector7g. It has always worked flawlessly for me and includes multilingual support. It is totally free, but donations via PayPal are gladly accepted. Info here

WARNING! New virus! [wink] TED KENNEDY VIRUS - It drives your files into the bitstream, crashes your computer, then denies it ever happened.

748eah.png

PDF995 is fine - you just have to kill the sponsor pages when they try to load but it won't stop the conversion to .pdf. ***Remember to change the settings when you 'print' to file so that it downloads as softfont otherwise you'll get a recipient machine's 'best match' of font when you send it.

Thanks. I tried pdf995 last night and got an error about fonts - maybe that was the problem. One note, which I thought might be causing the issue. Everything in the document is in text boxes - hopefully that won't cause an issue.

Where do I change the settings - is it in the print dialog box? Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping that will solve my porblem. Would be really great if I can get this to work, as this will be an ongoing project.

Yes it's in the Print dialog box (Advanced)

Text boxes shouldn't be a problem as long as you've remembered to change the setting to download as soft font. Don't forget to check/change the paper size too - you may want A4 when it's defaulted to Letter (or v.v)

hwyl
Jonsi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back