Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word - Text Painting and Text Scrolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2000
US
When using MS Word, how do you slow down the scrolling when what you are trying to &quot;paint&quot; extends beyond the bottom (or top) of the viewable window?<br>
<br>
In other applications (Excel) the scroll speed is proportional to the distance you try to move the mouse pointer beyond the edge of the viewable window.<br>
<br>
In Word, when the pointer leaves the edge of the window the text scrolls by so fast it is impossible to stop the movement with any accuracy.<br>
<br>
Are there any methods of controlling the scroll speed in Word?

I started giving a suggestion when I realized that by &quot;paint,&quot; you mean select. Try using your shift key instead. Go to the help menu and type &quot;keyboard shortcuts&quot; or &quot;shortcut keys&quot; into the index and print them out for a full list of shortcut keys.<br>
<br>
Use shift-ctrl-end to select from &quot;here&quot; to the end of the document; shift-ctrl-home to select from here to the top of the document. Shift-right arrow will select word by word; shift-down arrow is nice too. There's one that selects by paragraphs I think...<br>
<br>
happy selecting!

Can I just say that I second Dreamboat's suggestion wholeheartedly - I'm always trying to get my users to use the keyboard shortcuts rather than the mouse. There are quite a few keystrokes to learn but once you've mastered them you never go back. And, best of all, you don't have to stop typing in order to move the mouse.

I think the keyboard shortcut that would help with Claymation's specific question is the ole SHIFT+click. Click the insertion point wherever you want the highlighting to begin and then hold the SHIFT key down when you click wherever you want the highlighting to end. The result is that everything between the two clicks is highlighted. This SHIFT+click feature works in many programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back