Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word Style & Formatting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfussell

Technical User
Jul 17, 2001
US
I could really use some help or suggestions on MS Word regarding the Style & Formatting capabilities. I am trying to create a word document template for all future proposals to use. I am able to save the template to already have the header & footer as well as the 2 columns and the font style that I want. I also have a very strict Style & Formatting guideline that I want to use. How can I save my template with no body text but still be able to view and use the Style & Formatting that I used on another document?

Also, I'd like to know if it's possible to prevent MS Word from creating an additional style simply because I have one particular paragraph that I want to have different spacing?
I was told that Ventura Publishing software isn't quercky like MS Word simply because you have one minor adjustment for one paragraph.
Thanks for the help!

Hi

To prevent Word from automatically creating styles based on your formatting, invoke Tools, AutoCorrect, AutoFormat As You Type and clear the checkbox 'Define styles based on your formatting'.

I find that 'feature' a pain!

Barborne
Worcester
UK

Thank you for the suggestion. My settings already had the 'define styles based on your formatting' unchecked, however that seem to have solved another problem I was having with styles & formatting. So, thank you for bringing that option to my attention.

Once the styles, etc. have been set up in your template, simply save it. Then do File, New, retrieve your template and it becomes a document you can rename with all your styles and formatting available for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back