Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS WORD - STARTUP DEFAULT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetManRob

Technical User
May 16, 2001
US
A couple of months ago, I filled out an employment app I found online in the form of a Word doc. Now, whenever I open Word, instead of starting with a blank page, this completed form shows-up. In explorer it is te097090.doc. I have tried deleting it, but it just keeps coming back. There doesn't seem to be any option in Tools-Options that controls how Word starts up. Anybody have any ideas about how to exorcize this beast, registry hack, etc.? Thanks, Rob

Hi

In tools>options>file locations there is a startup option. Click on that, press "modify" and you will be looking at the startup folder. Copy the path from the dialogue box (it will be already selected when you press modify) and paste it into windows explorer to "shortcut" yourself to the folder (or just remember where it was). Is there anything in there? Derren
[The only person in the world to like Word]

When you launch word, by default it will display the contents of normal.dot (the template that all new documents are based on). You can try searching for all instances of normal.dot and delete it. Warning: You may want to copy normal.dot to a diskette so you can put it back as a fail safe measure. If word does not find normal.dot, it will create a new, clean copy of the template. See if that fixes the problem.

I knew I'd get into trouble with that on this forum!

I use the Foxpro, Acrobat, ASP, Dreamweaver and Ultradev forums mainly, and they do nothing but winge about Word. My speciality is using Word with OLE automation using whichever software people are using, and I have done my fair share of helping them out on many an occaision!

I thought it was about time I added my twopenneth on this one!
[blush]
Derren
[The only person in the world to like Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back