Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word - shared table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisProg

Programmer
Apr 4, 2001
GB
Using Win XP Professional and Word 2002, I have documents which include a table in each. The documents are shared on a peer to peer office network.
On the originating PC the table can be opened and edited but on any other PC, the table cannot be edited but issues a message "The server application source file or other item cannot be found".
On right clicking the table, part of the menu shows "unknown object" instead of "table object".
Any one any idea how to correct this situation so that the required table object is visible to any PC on the network?

Huh?
On right clicking the table, part of the menu shows "unknown object" instead of "table object".

Could you elaborate? When I right click a table in Word I do not get "table object". So what do mean by instead of table object"?

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

If I open the Word document on the PC where it was originally created, and left click the table, the table area is made the current object (black dots at corners and meridians). Now when I right click on the table there is a drop down menu as follows

Cut
Copy
Paste
Works Table Object
Show Picture Toolbar
Borders and Shading
Caption
Format Object
Hyperlink

I can edit the table by clicking 'Works Table Object' and then 'Edit'; this function works fine. The directory containing the Word document is shared and updatable.

When I look at the Word document from another PC on our peer to peer network, the drop down menu for the table is as above except that 'Works Table Object' is replaced with 'Unknown Object' and therefore although I can see the table contents, I cannot modify them.

Hope this text is explict. Any help very welcome.

Chris

I also have Office XP (2002) and right clicking tables does not have this dropdown choice. Works? That sounds like MS Works, and a table created through that. If the other PC's do not have Works, then....that object would be unknown.

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

You are absolutly spot on!! I installed MS Works any the table works fine on all PCs. I am not sure how a Works object is embedded into Word but at least I have full access again.

Very many thanks for your kind assistance.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back