Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word printing problems/cracshing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhn

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2001
DK
Hi all,

We have w98 and a few w95 machines running MSOffice97. TCP/IP network, HP printservers installed on and shared from IBM Netfinity W2000 server. HP6 and HP4 printers.

I have a very strange problem: Sometimes machines crash Word, sometimes during opening of a document, sometimes during printing from word. When I force close Word after it seems to have stalled, and look in printers in the control panel, all printers are gone !!!! After reboot, they are back (this is not a joke). I have a terrible suspicion that it has something to do with the word docs having some sort of internal code regarding printers - printers that are no longer to be found on the network, but existed when the word docs were once created.

Any ideas about what this could be?

Thank you in advance,

Dennis Harris Nielsen

How current are your printer drivers? If you are using old drivers on an upgraded system, conflicts can result. Check for current print drivers at s-)

I've never heard of Word doing this in over 3.5 years of troubleshooting/supporting it.

However, if you really think Word is doing something, rename the normal.dot files, which could (but doubtful!) contain code.... Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
techsupportgirl@home.com

Hey DreamBoat & born2be, thanks for the comments. HP6 drivers should be as recent as they come. Will check HP4 drivers though, they are standard windows drivers. Maybe the ones provided by HP are better?

I have a friend who is a computer engineer who claims that he has had a word document crash a windows NT machine... I don't understand how that can happen if there is no code in the docs...

Thanks,

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back