Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word: How to stop Development Mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhafir

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
NZ
Hi all,
I ahev created a word document with soem VB controls.
The problem is that after I save teh document and re-open it again, I can not use any of the controls because the document is still in development mode!

How can I stop it permenantly?
Thank you for your help

Dhafir

Turn your Macro Security to Low or Medium.
It sounds like you have it on High, so macros won't run---that makes you get the Control box in design mode. Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros
Coming soon: wX

Thanks Anne,
Indeed, turning the security to low helps.

But I found that if I save the document in Rich Text Format I will overcome this problem and the document will be open in view mode even with high macro security, cause rtf automatically turns the Macros off.

Since you are a Word expert; Can I make my rtf document non-editable ? I know I can make it read only, but what I want is prevent people from changing the text or teh layout?

Many thanks

Dhafir

Nope. RTF is not Word document format, hence, not of Word's features will work.

Why would you put controls in a Word document and then save it as RTF to get rid of the controls?

You're not making sense to me. Sorry.

You can always protect the document (Tools-Document protection) if you save it as a doc file, but it's also quite "breakable" by simply inserting the protect document into another blank document--protection is gone. Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros

I understand why it sounds strange, but the real purpose is to provide the employee of our company with an electronic application form to be filled and e-mailed back to the moderator. This application form needs to have radio buttons and check boxes. There is no code behind these controls, they are just visual indicators. All I want is for them to tick or check few boxes and type in other text boxes and then save the document and e-mail it, that's it. It is just like an html page, but for internal use only without other web complications.
This is the only options that seems to me fast to implement ( I thought! )

Thanks again Anne

If they're just visual indications, then don't use controls. Instead, use the FORMS toolbar to create form fields, which will never give the "design mode" issue.

Of course, there are no radio buttons, but there are dropdowns to use instead.

See my little write up for Fill-In Forms here:

Or you can use this kind here:

Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros

Oh thanks Anne ! I really appreciate it!
It looks very interresting, I didn't know about this before now! I will see what I can do with it!

Dhafir

Yeah. The Forms toolbar method is probably the best for what you're doing. Doesn't require any macros, lets you protect your document from the user changing other parts...

Let me know how you make out! Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back