Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word file locked for editing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGDT

Technical User
Sep 4, 2006
GB
I am having a problem with one particular Word document on a shared drive.

If a user has the file open and another user then tries to open it the second user gets the standard 'xyz.doc is locked for editing by username' message.

Problem is that the user name given as having the file locked for editing is the same no matter who has the file open!

I have copied the text from the file into a new Word document and saved it with a different name, having done this it works ok and displays the correct user name of whoever has it open.

I have then deleted the original file and re-named the new one to the original name but as soon as I do this the problem re-occurrs.

It appears that somehow the file name has become associated with this one particular user name and no matter who has it open Word seems to think she is in it.

The users are reluctant to re-name the file permanently so I need a way to get it to work correctly with the original file name.

Has anyone come across this before or have any ideas what else I can try?

Have you looked for that particular file name on the shared drive that's a temp file?

Example ggdt.doc would be ~gdt.doc (or ggdt.tmp or similar combination of those)

Deleting the temp file (if one exists) should cure your prob.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

xlhelp thanks a lot.

Found a temp version of the file and deleted it - problem solved.

[clearing throat]
GGDT,
Just how helpful WAS xlhelp's post? [wink]

Hint:
star.gif

[smile]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor