Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word - Combine Chapters into a book

Status
Not open for further replies.

puredesi5

Programmer
Sep 26, 2001
US
I am using MS Word 2003.
I have 40-50 documents (chapters) in separate files. I have marked each chapter heading with a particular heading (Heading 2) so it will be easier to create a TOC (Table of Contents).
Is there an easier way to combine all those files (chapters) into one file (book)?

fumei: I can open each chapter and do 'select all', copy, and paste into a new document caleed Book. I was wondering if there was any easier way than opening each chapter and copying/pasting.

mintjulep: I am not familiar with Master/sub document but am sure I can find the information.

I appreciate both of you for taking time to respond. This is great forum.

Hi mintjulep & puredesi5,

Using Master/sub documents is a recipe for grief.

Far better to combine the chapters in a new document via INCLUDETEXT fields, if you need them all in one document. Alternatively, if you only need to build a TOC spanning all the chapters, you can do that in a new document via RD fields.

Of course, Copy & Paste could also be used to combine all the chapters into a single document.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

INCLUDETEXT and RD looks interesting. I'll have to remember that the next time I need to do this sort of thing.

I agree, master/sub docs are a pain.

RE: master/sub docs - how long have they been using this? It still does not work well, and IMO, I agree with macropod - they should be avoided.

INCLUDETEXT is definitely one way. I am not sure as to exactly what you are doing. Is this a one-time event? You are combining them to make one file, and then plan to continue on with that one document? or are you planning to maintain each document separately?

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back