Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS-Word changing language from UK to FRENCH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CInman

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2001
GB
Has anyone experienced a problem where, half way through spell checking a Word document in English, suddenly the Dictionary Language changes to French?!? Bizarre? Its the "Spelling and Grammar" dialogue box I'm looking at, with the fields "Not in dictionary:" and "Suggestions:" on it, and the combo-field at the bottom of the dialogue box has magically changed to "French (France)"?!? Any help would be appreciated - if just to prove I'm not going mad?!?

If you go to Edit, Select All, then to Tools, Language, Set Language and select English (UK), the document will revert back to UK spelling.

You might want to go to Control Panel, Regional Options, Input Locales and remove any dictionaries other than English (UK).

HTH

Indu

Having this very same problem, have tried all the usual changing the default language and locale settings both in control panel and in Word and it makes not one dot of difference. Only thing I do know is that all the users I have with this problem have had office installed from and install point with a customised install file. Bizarre!

We also had the same problem with custom installations.

Fix it at Start->Programs->Microsoft Office Tools->
Microsoft Office Language Settings. Uncheck French as an enabled language

Sometimes on NT, the NT shortcut key for switching "Input Locals" is the Alt Tab you use to switch between applications. Go to the "Keyboard" in control panel, select the "Input Locals" tab and deselect "none" in Switch Locals.

This is probably not the problem you're having, but it's worth a go if it's not solved. It happened to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back