Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word and Excel are not deleting temp files after document is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace1974

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2001
US
There is a word and an excel document (office 2000 pro) that are on a network drive and when I open them they create temp files like they are suppose to but when I close them the temp files do not get deleted. This causes all the office programs not to work. Once I delete the temp files and restart (windows98) the PC the office programs work like normal again. Other office documents (they are on the desktop) seem to be working fine, it's just those 2 documents (so far) that cause the problem. What could be causing this?

1. I assume they put them in your temp folder?

2. After you close out of them and close your apps, are your apps closing? Hit ctrl+alt+del to find out...

I reported similar behavior with Word/Access mailmerge and MS eventually (about 6 months later) wrote up an article on it, but I haven't heard the Excel thing. Anne Troy

The temp files are created on the network folder next to the document that is open.

If the issue goes away after you reboot, then I believe this is a problem on the *refresh* of the server not being often enough (something like that). I'm not a network person, but I've talked to network people regarding this issue and they've told ME that this was the problem. Usually, however, the issue would come up because someone else would try to open one of the files and they'd be told that it was *locked for editing* by <username>, and it was sometimes the user who had already gotten out of the file. Talk to your network dudes about it. Anne Troy

To add to what Dreamboat has already mentioned:

SMB (server message block) may be turned on and may need to be changed to off.

The user may not have delete rights on the server resource and as such the temp files remain.

It's not all files that have this problem on the network folder it's just a couple. The temp files can be manually deleted from the network folder but they don't automatically delete like they are suppose to when the document is closed. I was thinking it could just be a couple of corrupt files, and if they are corrupt is there a way to fix them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back