Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS-Word 2003 Web page building..Hyperlinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

okisok

Technical User
Jan 18, 2005
US
I am using MS-Word 2003 and saving a document as a web page. Included in this are several hyperlinks. The hyperlinks generated from characters (words or numbers) work as I would expect. The one generated from a graphic does not show the little hand when I pass over it. Is this just the way Word does it? If so, I can live with it, but it just seems strange. I'm trying to hyperlink to a bookmark within the page. Here is a link to my page. Try holding the cursor over the little tractor (no hand), but it jumps to the correct place in the page.

I get a little hand over the tractor in my Mozilla browser :)

Way away in Australia

The page loads slowly, but that's to be expected from all the garbage the MS Office products add to a document converted to a web page. I worked with a site the other day created in MS Publisher. The main page was over 800K of text, no graphics. The rest of the pages were over 200K of text. After I'd rewritten it, it was formatted better and pages were between 4K and 6K of text. Looking at the source code on the main page, about 85% of it is bloat, I'd say.

The links all seem to go to other websites, so you lose contact with the original site unless you use the back button. That's generally not a desirable way to set up links on a site.

And I got no indication from the cursor that the tractor was a link, though the status line did show a URL.

Lee

That's interesting that Mozilla is able to identify the tractor as a hyperlink, but not IE.

The reason all my links go off of my site, is that the page is just for my personal use. These are the places that I go on a regular basis. I'm not trying to draw traffic. When I need to come back to the list again, I just hit the Home icon. I like this better than using Favorites.

Lee, I'm sure you're right about all the junk that MS creates on this page. I had used FrontPage until I moved to an ISP that doesn't support it. So now I'm having to use something else to build it. I'm also having to use FTP to move it around. This is a lot more work. Frontpage was probably just as bad as Word at creating extra junk.

Are there any free products out there that will produce a web page that loads in a decent time?

James

I hand code, and don't use any kind of WYSIWYG design program. Part of my job is fixing the bad code that many novice designers who use them create, a combination of someone unfamiliar with designing a web page and using a tool that willingly designs things poorly when asked to. My recommendation is to learn HTML well enough that you can do it yourself so you KNOW your code is good and correct.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back