Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word 2003 Mail-Merge from Excel - Extra labels Printed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

reporting

Instructor
Dec 30, 2001
CA
In Word 2003, I created a label format that mail-merges from Excel 2003. I added in extra information such as email address, phone numbers, etc.. The labels are printed to Adobe Acrobat 8 and the resulting PDF emailed to other members of a group that I am associated with...

The first label looks like this:

«AddressBlock»
Email: «Email_Address»
Phone: «Phone_1»
Ext: «Phone_1_Extension»
Fax: «Fax»
Cell: «Cell»

The other labels look like this:

«Next Record»«AddressBlock»
Cell: «Cell»

I am printing using a label format with 10 labels per page. If there is a multiple of 10 labels printed, everything is perfect. If there are 21, 9 labels are printed like this:

Email
Phone
Ext
Fax
Cell

I cannot figure out how to print the labels without that additional information.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks very much,

John

Hi John

What you need to do is to add an IF test to the mergefields for each label. To do this:
1. delete all the fields on the label after the first one, except for the «Next Record» fields.
2. insert one of the fields that should always be populated for the «AddressBlock» field (eg a «Surname» field), so that you have both of these fields on the first line
3. select all the fields on the first label and press Ctrl-F9 to embed them in a pair of field braces (ie '{ }'). Then add the IF test so that you end up with:
{IF«Surname»<> "" "«AddressBlock»
Cell: «Cell»"}
Be particularly careful to preserve the space after the '<>'.
4. Copy the modified fields as a group and paste them onto each label after the «Next Record» fields. Don't worry if you can't see them when they're pasted - that's a consequence of adding the IF test.

Note: If you want, you can use Alt-F9 to toggle your system's field code display on/off, so that you've got a better idea of what's going on. If you do this, the fields' appearance will change (eg «Email_Address» will become {MERGEFIELD Email_Address}).

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

Thanks macropod, got my PDF out perfectly!

1 & 4 were actually unnecessary: clicking the Update all labels button in the Mail Merge wizard did the same thing...

Thanks again,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back