Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS wireless keyboard not being detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritJim

Technical User
Apr 10, 2007
DE
thread616-1369627
This is in reality an additional post to the above closed thread of the same name... I recently accidentally found out how to fix the problem discussed May-July 2007 just in case anybody might like to know even after all this time (particularly kestrel1 who did his best to help me back then).
The legends on the keys of the Microsoft keyboard had begun to wear off and, it being a German QWERTZ board, I was for ever typing rubbish still having the good old QWERTY layout programmed into my brain. I then decided to invest in a new wireless mouse & keyboard and this time went for a Logitech product. Result: all the problems reported back in 2007 disappeared!
The moral of this story (in case it's not already your policy) is NEVER buy Microsoft stuff if you can avoid it! It's crap.

I'll have to disagree, I've had a wireless Microsoft desktop (Keyb + mouse) for like 2 or 3 years now, and it still works perfectly fine.

It starts to type rubbish when the batteries in the Keyboard start to die out. The Light in the receiver is one, and it responds to the things like the Caps Lock button, and the Num Lock button, but typing gets increasingly more difficult as not all letters get through.

Since I use rechargeable ones, I just stick them in their charger overnight and I'm back in business by morning.

I have now moved the wireless keyboard to be used with my xbox 360 and it also works fine, and it makes it very easy to use Messenger on my XBOX.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your MS product, but probably the one you have and its environment differ from mine. Maybe I should have quoted the beginning of the old thread:
<My Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 worked fine until recently, when the keyboard was suddenly no longer detected during boot. Mouse continues to be OK. Even when keyboard not working (after each reboot), the LED of the associated wireless receiver blinks when keys pressed suggesting battery & reception conditions are good. Keyboard works perfectly as soon as I unplug & replug the wireless receiver USB connector... until the next reboot.
Device Manager shows all USB controllers healthy. Just in case, I reinstalled the VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller driver. Event Viewer lists Kbdclass Error 9 (twice in succession) at every boot: "Could not enable interrupts on connected port device \Device\KeyboardClass0">

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back