Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Voice Recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHateXP

Technical User
May 28, 2002
GB
Hi Folks,

My Firm has decided on rolling out MS Voice Recognition,(Via Office XP) despite my warning them it's pants.

The situation is this:

The users are training with the speech training software and then they log out and back in again the profiles seem to have been lost.

Am I right in saying the profiles are machine specific?

Am I right that the speech profiles are not stored within the users profile?

If there is anyone else who is using this with more success than my users, any hints or help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

TC

Are the speech recognition training files backed up by Save My Settings Wizard and Profile Wizard? If not, is there a way to do this manually and to restore to a new system?

The Save My Settings Wizard and the Profile Wizard do not save the speech recognition training profile. It is not very useful to restore user profiles to a different computer where audio channel may have a different character.

Frequently asked questions about the speech recognition feature for Office

Linney,

Thanks for your reply

The problem with Google is it doesn't cover using MS Speech on a WAN with multiple users logging into multiple terminals in different sites.

I spent a day going through the net reading articles, none of which gave me a heads up on what was the issue or how to correct it.

I had already read the MS KB articles before posting here.

I am not trying to put the training profiles on a new PC, these are networked PC on a WAN

I have downloaded the MS tool for importing an exporting the default speech profile, however this is going to be impractical with a large number of users.

I am also restricted by GP's and Permissions on the Network, whereby the users only have user rights.

My first step is to assign authenticated users full control of the speech hive in the registry and see if that allows them to save a speech profile locally, if that doesn't work grant modify permissions to program files\common\speech and see if that does the trick.

The next thing was to get the users to create multiple speech profiles instead of the current policy to use the same one.

Any more helpful advice would be appreciated

TTFN,

TC

Please close this thread

I got the answer I was looking for by trial and error

I'm glad you have solved the problem, any chance of you leaving a clue or useful links, for the next person who comes this way. At the moment we are rather "speechless" and can only guess at the actual solution?

The solution is roaming profiles won't work the solution was local profiles.

This is down to the size of the voice training files being excluded from being copied back to the server via a GPO and the fact you cannot use the same voice profile on a different sound chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back