Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS updates break java applet

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSWired

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2003
US
Hopefully someone can help me with this problem and hopefully I am posting in the correct forum. I have a java application used to manage packet filtering rules on a layer III network switch, a 3com Corebuilder 3500. This application is no longer supported and it is critical to my business application. The application is installed from a windows exe that extracts a bunch of java classes and an html file (or several hundred) to a local directory. You then view the html file with the java app inside it locally. The exe can be found at ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/corebuilder/9000/v3.0/webmanagev30.exe if anyone has the time to install the files. The part that concerns me is the FilterBuilder application.

This was working fine in windows XP SP2 environment up until late November. Then some security patch presumably was installed automatically and now when I go to use the application it is unable to modify the filter files in the local filesystem of my computer. This renders the application useless. I installed the application onto another patched up XP computer and the same problem exists. I can only get the program to run on an old win98 computer that has not been updated in ages. I uninstalled all the MS hotfixes listed in add/remove programs on my XP box and this did not solve the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Also, I tried multiple versions of J2RE and even the old MS JVM, to no avail. I also tried it with netscape and mozilla without success. Seems to be a windows problem to me.

My advice : never ever update any critical machines with patches unless you are absolutely sure that it will not break anything. Simple as that.

Looks like you'll be using Win98 until you update your switch !

Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief
--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

I think you should repost this on thq Windows XP Forum, as it seems not to concern Java issues. Maybe if you knew any technical details about the way the application wotks we could help.

Btw, sedj, nice advice, maybe a little late ...

Cheers,

Dian

Now I remember a couple of things that can be related to this ...

PSWired, what kind of error do you get?

Cheers,

Dian

Yes, I should have paid more attention to the issues these updates addressed and not just blindly applied them.

Unfortunately I don't get any errors, the program just does not function as it should. It must have to do with the abilities that the java applet has to modify files on my local filesystem.

Humm, an applet needs to be signed to access local resources, ie, it has to provide a certificate.

I rememner Nestcape updated its secutiry model for those certificates and some old applets stopped working.

I'm not aware of such an update for MS, but can be a point to start.

Cheers,

Dian

Since the applet is located and run on local system, I think the default java security policy allow it to write to local file system; however, the OS security setting may not.

Have you check the security setting of the filter file folder? It could be the user who run the application doesn't have write permission to the folder/file in question. This is just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back