Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Terminal Services and Configuration Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppyquestion1

Programmer
Apr 23, 2003
US
We're installing PPES 7V3 on a Win2K machine over MS Terminal Services (the physical servers are over an hour away from our location). The install goes great, until we try to apply the configuration in Configuration Manager, and the configuration fails to apply.

We've also encountered the same problem while installing SunOne LDAP.

Could Terminal Services be the problem? If so, are there any workarounds? Thanks all.

You may want to try using another remote tool if possible. I think something like VNC is more suitable for installations. I find that if I have to configurations or anything like that, VNC reacts much better than terminal services.

All cognos products you can install using terminal client except LDAP. Sun One LDAP installation using terminal session fails. Install that first directly on the server session, as suggested, VNC is best one I use.

regards,
Sudhi

Even Sun One LDAP can be installed using remote client like Terminal Service without any problem. There is a silent install option available where all the configuration information will be provided in install.inf file and then create a batch file to execute the install. This batch file should be scheduled using the AT scheduler in Windows 2000 Servers. It worked for me without any problem.

Sorry if this is outrageously obvious - have you checked that the windows account you are using has admin rights to the server you are attempting to apply the configuration to?

J

Well, we confirmed it wasn't Terminal Services. I travelled over to our server farm and tried the installs there with the exact same results. Thanks for the input there, really.

What I did discover was that (we're splitting IWR, PPES and the gateways among three servers) is that our test bed servers are in a 2K workgroup, not a domain. I'm wondering if that's messing up the LDAP install.

The PPES server will install but the configuration can't be applied. We get an error upon an apply that says "Unable to determine error that occurred trying to run command" and the command is "depman.exe". Same when it tries to apply upfserver.exe.

Any thoughts? And thanks for the advice so far.

OK, here's the skinny. We were hitting a two-part problem:

1) The file c:\winnt\system32\msvcrt.dll was preventing us from installing the SunOne directory server AND was generating errors during the apply phase in Configuration Manager. We were getting odd errors about upfdbsrv.exe and "Failed activation". Replacing the dll with a newer version we found in the system32\dllcache directory solved the problem. Document # 110178 in the Cognos KB helped us on this one.

2) Terminal services WAS also interfering with the install of the SunOne directory server as well as applying the configuraitons in Configuration manager. Cognos Support told us that neither SunOne LDAP nor Configuration Manager were supported for use over Terminal Services.

Thanks everyone for the help.

a note on ur second part...

i am using terminal services on the server where Sun One LDAP is installed. its working without any problems.

regards,
sudhi

Yeah, we did find that SunOne and Configuration Manager will run over Terminal Services. But only AFTER the initial install. We had to install everything directly on the server. After that, we can administer via TS.

Thanks for the clarification though. May help others!

This is FYI and for people who want try this.

I was able to install and use both Configuration manager and Sun one Directory server using Terminal service client. As I said in my above note, Sun one directory server can be installed using silent install option where you specify all your configuration in the inf file (see sun one install doc) and run them using the windows scheduler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back