Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Terminal Server Connection Issue w/ Lic Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterHT

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2004
US
I have 13 machines (7 are 2000 or XP Pro; 5 are Win98). I have purchased 5 TS CALS for the Win98, and the 2000/XP should use the built-in. There are many instances where clients get the following error: [REMOTE DESKTOP DISCONNECTED] The most likely causes are: 1) ...not enabled.. 2) max conn exceeded 3) Network error.

I have a 2000 Server, with TS enabled in Application mode, and the Terminal Server ACTIVATED. Server TS Licensing properties show the following:

Product/Type/Total/Available/Issued
Existing Win 2000 Lic/Built-In/Unlimited/Unlimited
Temp Licenses for Win 2000 TS CAL/Temp/-/-/1
Win 2000 Server - TS CAL Token (Per Device)/Open/5/5/0
Win 2000 TS CAL/Open/5/2/3

Anyone know why I would have connection issues? When I do have the issue, I check the manager to make sure I have no DISCONNECTED clients with OPEN SESSIONS. This issue happens regardless.

Any chance it could have something to do with the version of Remote Desktop (RDP)?

Check your Event Log and see if your terminal server is able to get the license from the license server.

if it cant find the License server try article Q304080

You might have to download an update from Microsoft to activate the built in Cals on your Win2000 and XP machines. Are you having connection issues with the Win98 machines as well? I had some connection issues like this when I originally setup TS on Windows 2000 Server with XP Machines. Basically the connection errors went away when I upgraded to Windows 2003 Server. Chances are you probably don't want to spend the money to go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back