Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Support for SBS 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontgomeryPete

Instructor
Apr 3, 2004
US
Hello, we are planning to upgrade our server which is running SBS 2003. Our principal application for passenger reservations is running on MS Access 2007.

Our network people (outside firm) want us to upgrade to SBS 2008, but JET SQL is not based on 64 bit architecture, so presumably it will no run on SBS 2008. They also claim that Microsoft will not support SBS 2003 after July, 2010. I have not seen that notice anywhere.

The MS Access 2007 application will be replaced in approximately 18 months by a centralized reservations system, run by the regional transportation authority. Therefore, the cost of rewriting the system does not make economic sense.

Would anyone care to share your thoughts. We are a small non-profit organization and cannot afford a pricey consultant's study of the situation.

Thanks, Pete

I would question whether the 64-bit OS is actually a blocker. Lots of 32-bit programs run fine on 64-bit operating systems. 64-bit compatible software is optimized to take advantage of 64-bit memory management, but there's not usually any blocker in place to keep 32-bit software from running.

Also, the end of the support lifecycle for SBS 2003 is not 2010. It's probably going to be 2013 and possibly 2014.

Extended support for Windows 2003 Server ends in 2015 and Exchange 2003 in 2014...

Check this matrix:

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Thanks for your help. Do you know of any reason why we just can't move our SBS 2003, together with applications and data to the new server?

Thanks again,

Pete

No, I don't, especially with the high quality of disk imaging software like ShadowProtect and Acronis that facilitate bare-metal recovery to new hardware...

You could use an image to do the migration, or you could use the "swing" migration technique detailed at
On the other hand, it would also be good to upgrade to SBS 2008 if you think you are going to exist for more than a couple more years. If you are worried about application compatibility, you could tell them that you'll consider migrating if they, on their own time, show you that your applications will function properly on an SBS 2008 server. It should be fairly simple for them to build an SBS 2008 virtual machine and install your software on it for you to test.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Thanks again for your help and advice. I wish we could predict the future, but best guess is we will be independent for another 24 months. So, we will stay on SBS 2003 for now until the crystal ball gets a little clearer.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back