Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS-SQL developer - new to sybase

Status
Not open for further replies.

jschaddock

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
GB
Hi,

I've been developing in Microsoft SQL server for a few years now and am whilst I'm not a guru I'm pretty confident in my knowledge of most areas of MS SQL.
I've recently started a new role where I'm still mostly doing MS-SQL but there is a support element using some sybase databases too. I'm comfortable enough debugging most of the T-SQL code in sybase because it is so similar to MS-SQL, but I'm not too familiar with the general enviroment of sybase - like does it have scheduled jobs, DTS etc... - and I'm looking for a useful book of some sort to show me the differences between MS and sybase.
I don't suppose anyone could recommend any publications could they? Sort of a "sybase for MS-SQL developers" or equivalent type book. There must be some people here who work with more than one RDBMS package.

Cheers
J

Hi J,
I am in a similar situation. I know noone replied to your question. Have you found anything? I could use a point in the right direction. I'm hoping for an on-line reference.

Thanks,
E

Hmm, maybe you can searching also for opossite process.
For example there is "Migrating Sybase Databases to SQL Server 2000", but it may contain usefull informations for you.

Zhavic

---------------------------------------------------------------
In the 1960s you needed the power of two Comodore64s to get a rocket to the moon. Now you need a machine which is a vast number of times more powerful just to run the most popular GUI.

Also there

Zhavic

---------------------------------------------------------------
In the 1960s you needed the power of two Comodore64s to get a rocket to the moon. Now you need a machine which is a vast number of times more powerful just to run the most popular GUI.

For SYBASE questions, you really should be posting in a SYBASE forum on TEK_TIPS. Since this forum is for MS SQL Server, the people using this forum most likely don't use SYBASE (although there may be some that use both).

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back