Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Server 2K upgrade test plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

egray

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2001
US
We are upgrading our web host and web app servers from NT 4 to Win Server 2000. Does anyone have a suggestion of items to include in the test plan, to check that the whole gamut of server admin issues have been properly addressed? (i'm not a tecchie, so I don't even know what areas to ask about!) Our network admin. is a 100% self taught person who doesn't usually plan things in advance, and I want to ensure that we have covered as many bases as possible. Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions or advice.

Try to create a test lab as close as possible to the real environment; install in production environment the BDC, synchronize with domain and remove from the network. Connect that BDC to the hub that are NOT connected to the existing network, promote BDC to PDC. Install another machine with web host and web apps into test domain, and play with the upgrades. Have another machine connected to test domain as a user. Make sure to read all available info about migration/upgrade to W2K. Test lab servers do not have to be as powerful as production servers, could be a clone as well.
Enjoy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back