Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Server 2003 cant see network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geej

Technical User
Oct 2, 2008
US
I had to move some cables around on a little 8 port switch I have yesterday because my DSL went down.

I ran the server direct into the 8 port switch, ran 2 work stations into the switch as well to by pass the internet, everything was fine, I could see the server and access our estimation program with no problem.

Last night the at&t guy came, connected a new modem to the switch to get us our internet back.

Now we have internet, but everytime I click the icon to access the server from the desktops, it is telling me that the drive is "disconnected".

The wierd thing is, there are no red "x"'s on the drives in "my computer" or "network places".

I tried to re map, but I get a message saying that it IS mapped.

I get another message saying "network path was not found"

Then (like a fool) I hit disconnect from the drive on my workstation (in my computer) figuring it would be easy enough to re connect and the drive disappered and I don't know how to find it again.

Any body have any ideas? It was working yesterday why would it just lose the netork path and how do I find the drive I deleted on my workstsion.

Please let me know how to troubleshoot this, it has to be something simple.

Thank you so much.

Plug everything into the switch and reboot the servers and clients.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

start, run type \\serverIPaddress press enter or click on OK

should show the shares on that server

right click the share you want, click map drive, choose your drive letter, checkmark in reconnect at logon

Norm

Thanks man, I did it and it still saying "network path not found" any other idea's??

Thanks norm, did it and got "server path not found"

This is very odd, because it was working yesterday.

Any other adviced?

Ok...back to basics.

Can you ping the server from the clients via IP Address? FQDN? Name?

Can you ping the clients from the server via IP Address? FQDN? Name?

Any changes to any firewall settings, or simply enabling it on the server by chance?

Cory

Ok guys it gets better.

After Norms post and my crazy level of frustration here is what I did. I took the entire network down, shut of the server and the 3 clients.

I disconnected the 8 port intellinet switch and replaced it with a Linksys DSL/Cable 4 port switch.

Plugged the dsl into the internet port, plugged the 3 workstations and the server in, brought it back up and now I can see the server with every workstation and re mapped the other one that dropped.

But now the internet doesn't work...lol

So, if I use the 8 port intellinet I get internet and no network

If I use the Linksys I get the network and no internet

Any suggestions??

Huh...wish I'd have thought to reboot everything...anyway, check that there isn't a port on the Linksys for "WAN" or "Internet" or something such as that. If there is, plug the cable from the DSL modem into that port.

You may also want to power the DSL modem off and then back on as well.

Cory,

Nope, seems now that the server doesn't seem to be the culprit there is a weird connectivity issue. I'm going to see if somebody has run into this before on the router side.

There really should be no reason that one switch will give you access to the server but not deliver internet then when swapped out the other will give you internet and error out saying there is "no network path".

Something is haywire.

Maybe your server have same IP address with the gateway to internet! Check it, if yes. change the IP address of one of them (Server or gateway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back