Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Reporting Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

vedicman

Programmer
Sep 5, 2003
US
Using MS Reporting Services, I am developing a report that contains several parameters. I want to give the users an option to leave a parameter blank and have the query run without filtering that field. I have tried the following logic, but it does not function correctly:

Where ProgNum = Case
When @ProgNum = '' Then ProgNum
When @ProgNum <> '' Then @ProgNum
End

Any Suggestions?

Thanks.....Franco

Lemme guess... if you don't get any record then @ProgNum is probably NULL. If true, try this:

Where ProgNum = COALESCE( @ProgNum, ProgNum )

Thanks for the idea!

My code works fine and dandy in SQL Query analyzer, but it does not work in MS Reporting Services.

I tried the coalsece statement that you suggested. It doesn't provide the results I'm looking for in either environment.

Any other ideas?

Franco

vongrunt

Actually, the first code snippet I posted does function correctly when used in a query that limits the return with additional criteria. It appeared not to be working because it was returning an enormous amount of data and the query sat there forever.

Here it is again, slightly modified:

Where ProgNum = Case
When @ProgNum = '' Then ProgNum
Else @ProgNum
End

Thanks again for your ideas......Franco

Trying setting up the parameter in RS to allow nulls. If you do that and set the label to all and value to null then you can select all and it will not filter on that field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back