Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Removal and ESET NOD32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentrif

Technical User
May 17, 2011
US
Hello!
I've gotten fake MS Removal and was recommended ESET NOD32 antivirus software. Then yesterday I've got it again.
I had restored system to an earlier date and typing this post now.
Please tell me if ESET NOD32 is good protection because I am not sure anymore. It did let fake MS Removal in again!

Using Task Manager to kill the browser when you get hit by this is a better defense than any A/V program at the moment - don't click anything on the popups, not even on the 'x'. Better still, using Firefox with the NoScript addon will block the majority of attempts without you seeing anything.

My protection begins miles away from my PC, OpenDNS with the free malware block stops many known malware sites at source.

If you surf on a limited account, you'll have more protection too.

ESET NOD32 is a good antivirus, yes. For personal needs you can also use free antivirus, like Avast (my favorite), AVG Free, Avira Antivir Personal.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

I had restored system to an earlier date and typing this post now.
how, through system restore or from a CLEAN image?

if it was system restore, does not remove the virus, and you should never just rely on one malware solution, back up ESET NOD32 with MBAM/SuperAntiSpyware. No single app can catch any and all of the malwares out there...

and yes, ESET NOD32 is ranked as one of the better AV scanners...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Don't blame ESET or any anti-virus. I've seen every brand of anti-virus get bypassed by malware and the machine gets infected. So, just like life - no guarantees about a peaches and cream, no problems world.

I would concur that if I was doing it "to the best of my ability, ignoring cost", I would use an anti-virus program (free or paid) plus the paid version of MBAM.

Other than that, good luck is also helpful. I had a guy that had not used any anti-virus software on his PC in the 5 years he had it. It took him 5 years, but he finally got a virus.

A couple other things to be sure of:
1. Be sure you're using a firewalled router (if you're using a wireless router, chances are, it has a firewall - just make sure it's enabled)
2. Use a software firewall with program monitoring/protection - For these, I suggest either Comodo Firewall or Online Armor (by Emsisoft - transferred from Tall Emu). Each has its pros and cons. Both protect at about the same level. I think Online Armor gives the least pop-ups, and they just started supporting 64-bit a couple/few months ago.

Also, another good antivirus product is Microsoft Security Essentials, also free...

I'd suggest one of, or combination of, these 3: Avira Antivir, MSE, and possibly Avast... and perhaps AVG. They had gone downhill, but last I checked, their scoring had moved back up according to

I might change my vote to Microsoft Security Essentials and paid MBAM. Microsoft Security Essentials is lightweight and non-annoying from what I've seen.

I've been VERY happy with it so far. Of course, someone on another thread did mention that they personally tested it against AVAST and Avira, and where both of the latter caught a virus immediately (as in - catching it to protect you), MSE did not. I don't remember the details of the conversation.

But yeah, I would think that would make an excellent combination - MBAM and MSE. If I were having issues, I might would consider the paid version of MBAM... maybe one day will anyway. But for now, I'm sticking with all the free stuff.

Here's what I use, more or less, as sometimes I'll change up a little:
1. Firewalled Router, of course
1a (though not currently - have used, but not as a general rule - OpenDNS - may go back to though, particularly since I have an almost 5 year old who already knows some of his way around a 'puter).
2. Online Armor, preferred, Do have Comodo on one machine - software firewall
3. MSE - Antivirus - and I think I still have Avira on one machine.
4. MBAM, SAS, and if I rmember - SpywareBlaster - Have thought about using Spybot again for the immunization piece, but wonder whether it makes much diff anymore.
5. General clean-up tools, such as CCleaner.
6. FF browser with NoScript and AdBlockPlus
7. GC browser with NoScript and AdBlock

BBB
I had restored it using system restore.
I would gladly stopped it using Task Manager except it is not 'openable'. Virus doesn't want you to open ANY programm.

I will follow your advise and install some of AVs in addition to ESET.

Thanks to all. Years later you are still the best!

P.S. I do not get those virus creators. I hope there is a reason behind all of this hard work for nothing.

P.S. I do not get those virus creators."

Most modern malware have financial motivations at their heart. They will make some profit based on having the malware on your PC.

The others are the older "my virus is bigger and badder than yours" type of motivation.

A very small amount is just meant to destroy your files or windows installation for fun.

Sentrif,

my suggestion, transfer personal data from drive...

zero fill the drive, using the manufacturers tools or use DBAN or Active Kill Disk...

install Windows XP and then install ESET NOD32, MBAM/SuperAntiSpyware, then scan with all three the personal data before you recopy it...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Also, if you do decide to use any of the other AV products, you CAN use more than one AV product, BUT one of them needs to have active projection disabled as to ensure no conflicts.

Most infections come from not have systems fully patch, windows and adobe flash and reader are some of the problems use a program like Secunia PSI to scan your system to see if you are fully patched.
Also running P2P software, going to bad site "like key get sites" will get you in trouble. Nod32 is one of the best AV bar none. I also use spybot S&D and Spywareblaster and malwarebytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back