Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Remote Desktop vs PC Anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBister

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2005
CA
I have aproxx 70 clients that are using PCanywhere for us to remotely support them, and I don't have any problems using it and it does everything I want it do to...which is great.

my problem is, I now have 1 client who doesn't wish to use PC anywhere as it creates a "hole" in there security. (no more than remote desktop imo).

Remote Desktop will work for me, but the problem with using remote desktop for me is that it doesn't have the capabilities that PCAW has, like file transfers and transfering clipboards, which are quite important for the type of suppport we are providing.

I have read on other forums of ways top tighten down the security for PCAW. one person had mentioned alowing only certain IP's to access the ports needed.....and I am assuming they are doing that through the firewall. aswell I think PCAW has encripted passwords if desired....correct?

We haven't needed to have strict password and security in the past as we only turn on PCAW when it is needed...not 24/7...but now I need to come up with facts on why PCAW is just as secure as remote desktop. anyone help me out here?

Bottomline......Is MS remote desktop more secure than PCAW and what can I do to beef up the security within PCAW to make my client feel more secure.

Thanks for your replies in advance

Chris

depends on the version of pc anywhere in the xp version or 10.0 you will see in the security option a setting for encryption and it only accepts calls from the users who are set up. I personally do not like remote desktop because it does not like you said have the same functionality as pc anywhere. hope this helps

Do you know which encryption is most secure?

I am using windows XP as a remote computer and they are running Win2003 SBserver for a host.

I am running PCAW 11.0 and they must be aswell if they run any version of win2003.

I am not sure which encryption is most secure, but if PC Anywhere is setup to only receive calls from specific callers I don't think it's an issue and to make them more at ease only have them enable it when you need it and don't leave it waiting for a connection.

Hope this helps.

Benz

I 100% agree with you and that is the way I do it now.

I am thinking of going with a VPN tunnel and then using PCAwhere throught the tunnel, that should elievate any and all security concerns and if there are any after we make the change.

If any problems do come up it will be with their IT dept dealing with it as the VPN will be created and maintained by them

OK great, We here use a VPN Tunnel for PC Anywhere and it is threw a sonicwall firewall. Very good product if you want to take a look here is there website: Cureently using the TZ170SP Wireless.

Benz

Benz...please tell me all and any problems you may have run into, my client is already using a sonicwall TZ150, I looked it up and it seems to have the capabilites for remote VPN.

you may be able to provide me with some good info from your expierence with sonicwall, I myself am not familiar with sonicwall as I am a watchguard guy :)

any help would be great as today is my deadline for submitting a proposal.

Not sure how the tz150 works for VPN but I'll tell you how we setup our tz170. 1st have them setup a user for you and under vpn access in the acces list it should be all wan ip, all wlan management ip, lan primary subnet, lan remote access netwrks, then under groups it should be trusted users everyone and the group they will create, in the group it should have you under members and vpn acces list should be the same as before. have them enable the wan to vpn policy uner the vpn tab settings, use ike using preshared secrect have it setone up or you can set it up. export that file that has the setup info for logging in. have them download from their mysonicwall.com account the vpn client setup. then have them e-mail both the client setup and the exported wan for vpn file to you. the rest is just the setup and import or the file connect and use pcanywhere, vnc, or remote desktop it is very secure and will appear in the log.

Hope this helps.

BENZ

sorry should be under users local users and local groups

yes that will help alot, I appricate all the info.

I think this is the way I would like to go, I am gonna try my best to go down this route.

would you agree that using a VPN tunnel would be more secure then using just rd or PCAW over tcp/ip?

I will let you know how it goes forsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back