Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ms Proxy Server 2.0 with Netscape NAvigator 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2000
GB
Hi,

We are using Ms-Proxy server 2.0 installed and using Internet Explorer 4.0 as the browser. It works fine but our manager asked to switch to Netscape browser due to the policy of the company. We are unable to browse and it is not getting connected to the PRoxy at all. Is there any setting in the proxy that we need to modify to work around this problem.

Thanks in advance,

S.Senthil

S.Senthil,
Make sure your netscape is setup to point to your proxy server. Use your Edit,Preferences,Advanced,Proxies tab. Use the same settings as your IE has. Under the exceptions box make sure you separate your addresses with a comma. Also make sure you don't have any leading *'s in your exceptions box.

Vistabud [sig][/sig]

You could also install the proxy client on the workstation [sig][/sig]

Thanks for your advise. We still couldn't connect to proxy. We setup all the setting in Netscape as in IE, but still are unable to connect to Proxy. We are using Proxy server 2.0 and Netscape 4.7. We checked the "Basic clear text" under Also we checked "allow anonymous connections". We are unable to connect, IS ther any setting in Proxy which is affecting the client to reach the proxy.
If anyone is aware of this pls respond.

Thanks
s.senthil [sig][/sig]

Wish I had read this earlier, I could have saved you a couple days headache. There is no way to accomplish this. I am speaking by pure experience. There use to be a patch that you could apply to proxy server to allow netscape to get out gotten from Microsoft's website, but Microsoft disenabled the link. Microsoft basically allows no options for you to use Netscape with their proxy server. This is part of the reason why Microsoft stood trial. [sig][/sig]

Hey S.Senthil,

I'm using Netscape 4.73 with MS Proxy 2.0 and it works just fine, I installed the MS Proxy client on each computer and I had to manually key in the Proxy settings in the preferences within Netscape such as the server name (not the IP address of the gateway- although this works too) and the port it's associated with usually port 80, I have no problems, I was using an early version of Netscape prior to upgrading to 4.73, I beleive it was version 4.0 and this version worked fine as well, Netscape DOES work with Proxy 2.0, sorry buffman.

Livewire [sig][/sig]

I too have had no problems with Netscape and Proxy 2. I like livewire installed the MSP client but as well had to make some manual configurations.
If anyone still needs the exact settings mail me and I'll reply the next time I visit my client. [sig]<p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back