Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Project schedule in report form 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elizabeth

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 1999
US
I don't seem to find a MS Project report that shows schedule as I'd like to see it. All I'm really looking for are the same columns that I see in Gannt view if I display them all - Task Number, Task Name, Start, End, Duration, Resources, etc. Am I missing something, or is there a way to print what I see on the screen without the bars?

Elizabeth,

If I am understanding your question correctly, you need to make some adjustments to your page setup. Go to page setup and click the view tab. Specify how many columns you would like to see on your prints and then do a preview. You should see all of your specified columns. If not, it may tell you that your columns are too wide and you may have to reduce the size of the text or the columns to fit the page. You can do that by working with the % of actual size or adjusting the width of the columns manually.

I can see all the columns I want on the screen, but I want to print them. When I try to print, I get the bars too.

Is this after you make the changes to 'page setup_view tab'?
If you have updated the number of columns you want to see there and see them on the screen via print preview, then it should print properly.

Tip:
You may have to adjust the size of the columns (similiar to the way you adjust columns in excel) to allow them all to fit the paper; unless you use legal or some larger size paper, of course.

OK, I was a little sloppy with those questions; let me be more clear. I am in Gannt view. I display 4 columns + the bars. When I go to print preview OR print on paper, I get the 4 columns plus the bars. I want to get the 4 columns without the bars. The bars seem to show up no matter what number of columns I print. Is there a way to print only the columns I want, as if it were a spreadsheet? I don't see it under existing reports. I'm wondering if I have to create my own report, or learn how to export this to a spreadheet, or what.

Try this !?

Under VIEW, drop down, select TABLE, Select ENTRY.

This will display and print columns only, without those nasty GANT bars that graphically show how behind my projects are.

Hope this helps.
pivan In not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?

Just do it!!

Pivan, when I do this I see no change in display, or in print preview. I still see the bars. I did select a different table (Cost) just for comparison. The columns changed, but the bars still show. Do the bars disappear from your screen when you do this?

I am using v 2000 and have had a couple of wierd problems with it. One time I was unable to change the color of a completed task (bar) for about a week. It was working fine, then stopped working for about a week and a half, now it is working fine again. I tried the usual saving, re-opening, rebooting, etc. and that made no diff.

Elizabeth,

I don't know what view Pivan is using either to get this result cause I've been using MS Project for 4 years and viewing the gantt chart in a normal print preview window is intrinsic of the program. The only way not to see them is to slide them all the way to the right and then only print page 1 of the form. However the reports that are built in to MS Proj are actually pretty good and you should be able to use a report to get the results you want without gantt charts being attached at all. What kind of data are you tying to show? Resources, task time-scale, costs ? There's a report for everything in View/Reports.

Hope that helps. Do you know how to adjust every task forward a month all at once? I know it can be done but I can't remember how.
Dave

Spacebound, Or anyone who can help.....

I was wondering if you had an answer to my question. Can you return Project dates back to NA or blank them out to use a plan as an template? I would like to set up the plans for a particular project in a template but I dont want to have my team readjust the dates every time they load it and take ownership of the template. I would like them to input the dates as they come to the tasks; instead of having generic dates to type over and inadvertently recalculate the start and finish dates and milestone dates. If the dates are left to remain on the template, then the start of the next project will have dates on uncompleted tasks as being completed. That's not what I want.

Does that make sense? Is it possible?

Bdaddy,

I get what you are saying and that would be a good thing to do actually - but as far as I know, the project (and the tasks because of the project) must have a start and finish date as you put the task in. They can't be set to "whenever" date or equivalent. The only way to get anywhere near what you want (and I'm sure you know this) is to just adjust the Project start date every time a new project is started. Also playing around with the Tracking/Update Project in Tools will help. This is what I have to do when using templates. If you figure out a way let me know.

Spacebound

Spacebound...yep..you are right. to get rid of the gannt chart bars, you need to slide them all to the right. This way they dont print. But I seem to be able to print more then the first page of the reports. In fact all of my line items print. I'm using the most recent version of MS Project 98 :)

pivan
Venice Beach, CA In not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?

Just do it!!

pivan,

I was saying that Elizabeth can choose to only print the first page of the form - assuming that she only wants to see the totals at the top anyway. You're right however is she wants to see ALL tasks and they make up more than one page. Also if they are like half of another page Eliz. you can go to print preview/page setup tab and limit the %of view down from 100% to fit everything onto one page but the type can get pretty small depending on the amount of data. Pivan... do you know how to shift an entire project forward in time say, one month without upsetting the time-scales of all the tasks? I'm sure I've done this in the past but can't remember how now. thanks

Spacebound.

Spacebound...No...dont know how to shift an entire project forward in time. Let me know if you find a way.

Thanks,
pivan In not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?

Just do it!!

Sorry this is so late..the way I print tasks without Gantt in Project 98 is to select views/more views/TASK SHEET.
Hope that helps.

Egray

MUCH better late than never! I had overlooked this, and it's so close to what I wanted, and I can just edit it! Thanks, Egray! s-)

Hi,

To answer your question regarding printing out just the columns you can do the following:

Go to the view menu, choose "More Views". In the more views list you will see the task sheet. Choose to apply the task sheet. If you want to change the columns in any way, you can then go to the view menu and choose "Table" and pick from the list the appropriate table.

Hope this helps.

Hi, it is very simple...see try this
on the table which you wanna print ..... go the strating edge of the Gantt Chart and drag that out till the end....then click Preview. You wont see bars ne more

i hope this is what you wanted.

Thanks everybody, Egray's answer solved the problem a couple of days ago. I'm all set now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back