Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS-Press 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

schase

Technical User
Sep 7, 2001
US
Howdy,

I'm onto the 70-290 now. Got the trusty MS-Press book, and read each chapter, did each lab, each case scenario, all pretty good. Missed some questions here and there, but not bad.

Felt pretty good about it and went and tried a readiness review test. And promptly got a 42.2% I swear there were questions on subjects that were not even remotely covered in the MS-Press book. I read the book over the course of one week so the info is still pretty fresh.

Is this just my odd luck? Or has anyone else noticed the same. I noticed it too on 70-270 but that test was so long studying for I wasn't too surprised.

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Typically, MS Press books(or any non-cram book) will not cover every detail. The best way to make sure you get all categories covered is to go out to their website and look for the competencies list and make sure that you've covered each one. I'm pretty sure that MS Press will provide a listing in their appendix somewhere of what competencies are covered in the book and how well they're covered. There used to be an area on their website that would do that also.

well if you look at the objectives between MS site and what MS-Press says. They're identical.

Just got to the Prepare for the exam bit, where they tell you to read a bunch of other items to be ready for the test.

IMHO all this makes this series of books one step below useless. Why bother writing a book when they could have simply compiled the resources to go study for the actual info.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Well, I purchased all the MS blue books to study from.
I don't think they help much for passing the test.
I typically do transcender, and then when I hit something
I don't full understand on a questions, I hit the web to
research it, and use M$ virtual labs to try it out in a
"live" environment.

What the big blue books are good for is giving you a good
overview, so when your at the job, you know enough to do
the job! =)

d.

aye,

I've learned alot from the book - not discounting it's value there. But for example the 70-270, huge butt book from MS-Press that showed a lot, but seemingly didn't prepare you for the exam.

In contrast, Exam Cram 2's book on the same subject, went a whole lot further. I don't expect to not have to dive a little deeper here and there with subjects I cannot seem to grasp good enough, but that shouldn't relate to the entire exam section as it is with MS-Press.

Regret buying the MS-Press core exam package books now.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

I've never been too impressed with the MS Press books. I found that dispite the amound of words and pages, they don't actually prepare you for the exam. I am fortunate enough to have access to a variety of books: MS Press, Sybex, Exam Cram 2 and the Mike Myers' Passport series. I've found that depending on the exam their content and quality vary (I guess because each book is usually written by different authors). I found Sybex to be quite good for 290, passport to be the best for 291, exam cram to the best for 284 and 294, and sybex to be the best for 293.

I would also recommend getting a hold of some CBTs; I've ofund LearnKey to be the best so far.

That's some solid researchin for the board.

Just can't afford Learnkey, wish I could.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

schase said:
Just can't afford Learnkey, wish I could.
There are other CBT's out there and fans of each.

Personally, I really like CBT Nuggets, but I've used LearnKey, TestOut, and VTC, and each has its own strengths.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Microsoft Virtual Labs are pretty good too. They give you a downloadable reference sheet of how to do the steps also, which is good for offline reading. I ALWAYS reference MS books for one main reason. There's the "way you will do it in the real-world" and the "Microsoft way". A lot of times, these are the same; however when it comes to a test, the answer will be the Microsoft Way. This is how it is with all vendor tests. Even if their way is 10 times slower then a method you already use, you have to know how they recommend it be done.

After taking some transcender exams....

I'd have to say if MSPress puts a lot of effort into upgrading their books

they might achieve a level of being a poor resource.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

Hey Wish,

I had bit the bullet and got a 70-290 CBT Nugget exam.

It's impressive, about the 2nd chapter into it I went - duh, lemme take notes like a classroom. So I did, retention's pretty good. It seems quite thorough. Of course you miss doing the labs, but watching him move around works good. It'd be nice if he was a little slower, but the pause or backing up works good.

I havn't tried taking a practice exam after watching these "nuggets" so I'll make final judgement after that.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

schase,

You can always do the labs in the MS Press book to prepare for simulations on the exam. Of the CBTs I've used, I like CBT Nuggets the most useful.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Also, make sure you read the "prepare for the exam" section at the back of MS press books.
I sat the 291 exam on Friday (and failed).
I didn't bother with the "prepare for the exam" section befoer I went in, as I was fairly confident I had covered everything.
Got a few questions I had no idea about in the exam and when I got home and read the first page of that section, there was the answer to one of the questions. Annoyed? I think so!

yeah I read that section, and it's that section that gets me irritated. Why bother reading the entire text book if they then point you to other locations for the actual information you'll need to pass the test.

It's another example of a lazy textbook writer getting stuff out to be up on the shelves.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+, MCP

Took and passed the 70-290 with 820. About a month and half studying, used the MS-Press book (not worth the paper it's printed on), CBT Nuggets, Few smaller study guides I found online, and Transcender & Readiness review for practice tests.

The CBT was really good. combined with Transcender - I won't say I had the most confidence if I was ready or not. (at some point you may just be memorizing the questions between transcender & the readiness review). But the two combined, were really decent.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back