Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS patches - IE and scripting host issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettcw

MIS
Oct 7, 2003
US
We just applied a number of MS security patches and we now are seeing problems on various metaframe boxes where the windows scripting host is not able to run and IE does not work. Reinstalling IE seemed to fix it, but the problem then reappeared. We manually added the files to the winnt\dllcache folder and that has seemed to do the trick for most of them. But we still have one box experiencing a problem with the wsh.

Yet another reason why people love MSFT patch management. I would highly recommend making an image (or at least a good backup) of your MetaFrame servers before doing any "critical updates" or software installations so you can revert to a known good build.

I'd also recommend applying updates to one server in the farm or even better to a test server before rolling them out to a production environment.

I know this is extra work but it really pays off in a situation like yours.

Did you try uninstalling the updates?

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

We have backups and we can do a point in time restore if necessary. We always apply to our test servers before deploying to Prod. We are only having the problem with a couple of boxes. We are probably going to do a restore back to its pre-patched state. It works for 10 minutes after rebooting the box, then starts to fail. I figured there was a chance that someone else had problems with patches, too.

I have the IE issue on one of my boxes. What DLL's did you copy to the DLLcache folder to get rid of the IE problem?

Thanks in advance for you help with this...

We looked at the files that were part of the installation. Then we looked to see if they were in the system32 directory. When they weren't, we manually copied them into system32 and the dllcache folder. I don't recall what specific dll's they were. We recently found that the servers we continued to have problems with were moved to a different container in Active Directory. I'll see if I can find the specific dll's. Our problem invloved IE6, WSH (all of our VBS weren't running) and we were unable to explore the winnt directory. After we moved the server(s) back to the right container, we seem good to go now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back