Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Outlook Problem via VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

aacinit

MIS
May 16, 2003
US
We have two offices connected via VPN. Netscreen 25's.
Exchange server is accesses via MS Outlook from satellite office. From time to time the satellite office loses connection to the exchange server. So satellite office clients get an error message in outlook. Both offices have T1 connections.

i have a very similar setup and have seen this happen when there is heavy traffic across the vpn's and/or when there is a large email bieng pulled. look for congestion on your T's. I would bet you its related to that.

I called our T1 provider and they monitored the T1's for a 24 hour period and they said nothing seems to be wrong with the circuits. I am thinking something might be wrong with the Netscreen 25 box at my end or the Netscreen 5GT box at our satellite office.

Try running debug flow basic on both firewalls when the server loses connection. Look for any packets getting dropped due to policy or application errors. Also what version of code are you running on both firewalls?

Hello,

Are you using Policy based or Route based VPN's? I like using Route Based VPN's because you can turn on the VPN Monitor with Optimization and Rekey options. Have a look in the C&E for a good example.

Rgds,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back