Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Outlook 2000 problem with HTML format

Status
Not open for further replies.

nh39

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
US
Hi,
I'm experiencing a strange problem with one of the user accounts on Outlook 2000. We Exchange 2003 and MS Outlook 2000 on most PCs. This one particular account has been getting program error messages and kicked out of Outlook everytime the user tries to reply to HTML format messages. I've found one clue is that it would be OK if I change the format to Plain Text before typing anything to the body of the message. No one else on this network has this problem. I've tried re-installing, re-installing, re-installing Office, formatting the hard drive, and even replacing the computer with a brand new one. Thank you for any suggestion.

I've seen this if the user is using Word as they're e-mail editor.

In OL2K you can't use Word as your e-mail editor if you're using HTML as your mail format. While this shouldn't affect replies to HTML e-mail I've found that it does happen occassionally.

I've also found that if, when you reply to an HTML email, start typing on the 1st line this may happen. Try having the user hit Enter to create a blank line before their reply.

Cheers.

I've thought of the possible problem of using Word as the e-mail editor but it's not the case here. In addition, plain text is the default format. I've distinguished a little more about where the problem occurs. This user likes to insert comments right into the original message, and that's when Outlook generates an error and closes. Simply typing on the top of the message doesn't cause any problem.

Thanks for jogging my memory. I've had that happen on occasion with OL2K and Word 97. I use plain text and NO Word as the mail editor. I never did figure out what caused it.

It didn't happen to all emails, nor to emails that were from a specifc sender. What I did notice though was it happened when I went to edit my reply (which I also inserted right into the original message) or used the backspace key while typing my reply. As long as I didn't need to edit my reply I didn't have a problem.

Since we upgraded to Word XP our terminal server to W2K3 from a NT 4.0 I haven't had the issue. We still use OL2K (with Exchange 5.5) but have upgraded Word to XP. Since I don't use Word as my mail editor it has to have been the TS upgrade the resolved the issue.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back