Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Outlook 2000 Network Address Book WITHOUT Exchange Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallas

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
GB
I knew the answer once, but all the new stuff drives out the old.

We have a small Netware 5 network with MS Outlook 2000 running on each work station. I want to give all Outlook users access to a common contacts list with e-mail addresses, etc on the server. We do not have MS exchange server. The clients are currently configured to operate in Internet Mail Only mode. Any ideas?

Next problem is to daily update this address book from our MS Access 2000 database which lives on the server, because I don't think that the Outlook database is ODBC compliant. Maybe this is a question for the VBA forum.

One possible option is to use "net folders" to share the contacts folder from an email account used only for that purpose. You can then give users appropriate access to the contacts folder. Keep in mind that this creates a lot of network traffic and will increase email activity.

Hope that helps.

My network is similar. I created an employee address book with e-mail addresses etc. I installed it on each machine. Whenever there were any changes, I will e-mail the changes to each one and assist wherever needed.

Outlook
File - import and export
Follow the wizard
You will need to import the file as .pst
Then export as contacts

Good Luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back