Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Oulook 2003 error - "Can't Create File" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianb000

MIS
Dec 14, 2004
US
I have a user trying to open a .rtf attachment. When he tries to open the attachment an error pops up and says "Can't create file: name.rtf. Right click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions on the folder."

This error comes up if he tries to drag and drop the attachment out of email, open the file from within the email message, or right click and save as. It pops up immediately. I cleared out his Temporary Internet File folder. He can open other attachments okay. Just not this RTF. RTF files are associate with MS Word in this case.

Any ideas?

Thanks and Cheers,

Brian

Has the user tried renaming the file to "name.doc" or some other naming format just to see if maybe the file got named incorectly, or if at least the file will open otherwise?

Are there any security settings which would prevent the opening and/or downloading of .rtf files on the server or client machine?

As soon as you try to rename or do anything with the attachment, that error pops up.

We don't have any security in place that would prevent the rtf files. I open them just fine.

I was thinking it could be related to a bad file in the OLK* directory that shows up as the default save location for Outlook attachments, but I emptied all the temp internet files and that didn't help.

Maybe a bad file? Are you able to forward it to another email on another machine, and see if it can be opened there?

Hi

I had this problem and fixed it by emptying the users OLK folder.

Hope this helps.

Try this:

You may receive the following error message when opening attachments in Outlook (such as PDF faxes): "Can't create file: FAX.TIF. Right-Click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions on the folder."

Microsoft Outlook uses a temporary folder to save and open the attachments. By default that folder is:
"C:\Documents and Settings\%USER_NAME%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK#\" (where # is a random number) Some of the latest security updates for Windows 2000 and XP are preventing folders to be created in that folder. The solution is to use the regular TEMP folder.

1. Use REGEDIT.EXE to locate the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security

(Note: Depending on your version you may have to modify that path after the "Office" key. You may have folders 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, go the highest number. This is probably the version that you use.)

2. Modify the Key "OutlookSecureTempFolder", by replacing "Temporary Internet Files" with "Temp". For example:
OLD VALUE: "C:\Documents and Settings\tim\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK177\"

(Note: There may be a different number than 177)

NEW VALUE: "C:\Documents and Settings\tim\Local Settings\Temp\OLK177\"

3. Restart Microsoft Outlook.

Source:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back