Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Office Slow File Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwsully

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2001
US
Problem
It takes 5-10 minutes to open a MS word document on a Netware 6 NSS volume.

Originally the files were created on a netware 5.x server. We moved the files off the server on the new 6.0 server. Everything worked fine for months. Recently we removed the old netware 5.x server from the tree now it takes 5-10 minutes to open the files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Mike Sullivan

No, that does not help. We believe we have narrowed it down to documents that were created with a template from the old server (Before everything was moved to the new server). The only way I have found to fix the documents is wait for it to finally open then copy & paste everything into to a new document. If you have any other ideas I am listening.

Thank You
Michael Sullivan

It also reminds me of a slowness in opening ms office due to a problem with printer enumeration. Could this help? By simply changing the default printer...

Jeff

I guess another thought I had was you could try using filemon a download from sysinternals on the workstation and see what files are trying to open when you do such a thing...

Jeff

This is what I have found with that utility. (That utility was very useful thanks)It appears winword looks for the server that has the orginal template(does this for six minutes plus). That server does not exist so it can not find it. When I turn the server back on (with no ds on it) it tries once and opens the document in approx. 20 secs. If you have any other ideas I would appreciate it.

Thank You
Mike Sullivan

We came up with a temporary work around. In the wrokstations host file we made an entry for the old server with the ip of the new server in addition to the entry for the new server. This seems to fool word into think the server exists.

Thanks for your help Jeff.

Mike Sullivan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back