Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Office Problem/XP Domain User

Status
Not open for further replies.

qfkeon

Programmer
May 29, 2001
US
I have a Windows 2000 Domain and I have been trying to sort through problems with a Windows XP workstation. Before adding the workststion to the domain, I installed XP with SP2, all drivers and all software under the local Administrator account. Most of the applications run when logged on as a domain user, but MS Office 2000 Small Business is looking for installation files and generates error 1706 three times before opening an application. Through some experimentation, I have narrowed the cause to the SR-1a patch. If I uninstall and reinstall Office, it runs fine when a NEW user who has not opened Office yet is logged on to the domain with this workstation. However, if I install the SR-1a update and try to log in with a different NEW user, the program generates error 1706 before opening. Any user that has opened Office before the SR-1a update is installed still works fine. Any user that has NOT opened Office prior to the SR-1a update will not be able to open Office without errors.

I have tried installing the update through the Office Update website as well as the administrator update download on the Office 2000 resource page. Both results were the same.

Does anyone have suggestions regarding this issue? Thanks.

Q

There's a difference between "fixing the problem" and "making it work".

I found the answer in MS Support Article# 258847.

Q

There's a difference between "fixing the problem" and "making it work".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back