Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS map point 2006 Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2004
GB
Hi
Can anyone help me please. We have MS map point 2006 europe version installed on some of our desktops in the office and we have users who are trying to import data to the map from an Excel spread sheet.
However when they try they get an error message which says that the file is "There was a problem opening" and then the network path.

Does anyone have experiance with this programme and if so is there a specific format that the spread sheets are ment to be in.
We have tried saving as CSV, TXT and also Excel 95/97 and Excel work book but none seem to work.
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Thanks

Craig

All systems run Win xp Pro SP2

Hi Linney
I have looked at these sites and although very helpful they dont really answer my question.
Most of the information on these sites relates to VB and our systems are tied down so Macros that run in VB are very few and far between.
What i need to know is can anyone tell me the format that my spreadsheet should be in, in order for the data to be imported.
At the moment its not in any specific order.
Any more advice? Pleaseeeee

"There was a problem opening" and then the network path.
could also indicate that it has no connectivity or permissions to said path...

can you navigate to the file, using explorer, and open it up with Excel?

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Hi bigbadben
Yes we can open the file up perfectly fine using excel, and the document has been moved from the network to the local C drive but still the same.
We thought it could have been to format of the document but further testing has turned up nothing and it still does not want to import.
Were at a loss now.

Thanks for the link Linney
I went to it and found it very useful. It mentioned sample maps within Mappoint prog folder. I attempted to open on of these but got the same responce. There was a problem opening (File Name)
I have tried to set permissions on the c drive to full control but this has made no difference.

Im at a loss as to why it will not open up any csv, txt or XLS documents.

Is there anything i have missed.
I eve ticked the Work with other MS apps during the install...

This talks about a MDAC problem.

Cannot import Data into Mappoint 2004

Not being a user of Mappoint reflects in this next question. Can your users export from Mappoint and save as an Excel file on their machine and then import that same saved file back into Mappoint on that machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back