Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS gobbledegook - interpreter needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

austim

Technical User
Jul 17, 2001
AU
I have just acquired a new problem with IE 6 and Windows 2000 Professional.

Now, when I try to open "Add/remove Programs" I get an error message "An unexpected error occurred. Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment res://appwiz.cpl/default.hta Line 77", and the window remains blank, with no list of installed programs.

This is not, in fact, a fatal error since I can click on the "Change or remove programs" icon in the left pane, then all is shown, and I can proceed. However, I would prefer to get things back as they were a couple of days ago.

I have Googled and found the Microsoft KB article 266668 "Add/Remove Programs Tool Displays Installed Programs Incorrectly".

Amongst other things, this article tells me that "Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional..." [Now that is REALLY helpful :) ].

The problem is associated with IE6 and "may occur if the uninstaller for a program incorrectly removes registry entries that are used by Windows and the Add/Remove Programs tool".

I have tried most of the suggestions offered by MS, including repairing IE6 and performing an in-place upgrade of Win2000. (That took me back to IE5, and the problem disappeared temporarily, but returned as soon as I
reinstalled IE6).

One of the suggestions offered by MS reads like this:

Use the command line REGSVR32 [path\filename] to register each of the following lines:
%systemroot%\System32\Appwiz.cpl
... other similar lines...
%systemroot%\System 32\Msdart32.dll [not registerable]
%systemroot%\System 32\Mshtmled.dll
%systemroot%\System 32\Mswstr10.dll [not registerable]

My quandary is - just what is meant by [not registerable]? If I search the registry for any of the [not registerable] dll files, they are not to be found; all of the others have been registered.

So what on earth are MS telling me to do? Are they really telling me to try to register files that cannot be registered? or do I add "[not registerable]" as a parameter when I enter REGSVR32 [path\filename] ?

(Just to add the final touch, the spell checker in MS own Outlook Express does not recognise 'registerable' as a valid word!).

Any/all help will be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried reapplying a service pack??
This might help

MCP

Austim -

I saw your post in May about the "Add/Remove Programs" problem, and the reply where it was suggested you apply a Service Pack. Did it work? I've mysteriously got the same problem.

Regards

Tony Reynolds
tony@arcenciel.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back