Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ms frontpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtrentchamp

Technical User
Jun 9, 2013
US
Hello and thanks for taking a crack at this...Is there a way in MS FrontPage to have a video play when your website opens (or start with a page that has a video inserted into it) and then automatically go to your index page when the video is finished? If so, how? Thanks again. - Trent

Yes, you can do this in Frontpage by editing the HTML directly.

Set your auto-refresh meta tag to last the duration of the video. Then it will refresh to your homepage.

But also be prepared to take a hit in search engine rankings, as presenting obstructions to your content is a bad idea.

Thanks Jim, here's a follow up question then...The search bots look at your "index" page right? Is there a way to start with a (let's call it) "gateway" page that lasts the duration of the video that would be inserted into it, and then automatically loads the "index" page thus not sacrificing content to the search bots?

Or,

Would doing the above preclude people seeing the introductory gateway / video page if they were arriving at the site from clicking on us in a results page from a search engine query? In other words, if you click on the link from results of a search query, are you always taken to the "index" page?

You could have a javascript function to spawn a pop-up window from your index page that would present the video. But when you say that you are using Frontpage (a decade-old app) I assume (possibly incorrectly) you are light on web dev experience and may struggle with javascript. My memory is fuzzy: FrontPage may have a native JS pop-up function but it may be based on old concepts. In 2013, spawning a new browser window may be blocked by user preferences or other security software. You might look to a pop-up modal window for your video (
Beware that introduction videos are rare on professional sites. The nature of the web is to invite content, not force a visitor to down whatever you think they want to see first. You also need to consider the visitor that has seen the video, but has no need to see it again on a repeated visit (ie: set cookies).

I agree with that last comment - I find such sites annoying and usually go elsewhere. Similarly with those "Click here to enter" pages.

Have a good think to be sure this approach is really in the interests of the website visitor.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://qsl.net/2e0waw/index.htm[/url]

In other words, if you click on the link from results of a search query, are you always taken to the "index" page?

What makes you think that your "index page" is going to be the one shown in search results?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Indeed - if you have sub-pages and they are linked to (somewhere) chances are they will be indexed too.

I'd also like to add my vote that placing an unwanted obstruction for anyone wishing to visit your site will be counter-productive; I too would click off and go elsewhere. Perhaps consider placing a link to your video on your home page, as at least that gives the visitor a choice.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://qsl.net/2e0waw/index.htm[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back