Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Exchange Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

abovebrd

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2000
US
I seem to have a problem with my MS exchange client. The agent seems to be installed and running correctly. No indications of a problem.

When I create a backup a jog backup exec allows me to sellect my MS exchange componets for backup. The job then runs and completes with a 100 percent indications. My problem is when I view the backup logs it shows that all of the MS exchange clients failed to backup? I will post the exact errors tommorrow morning when I get back to the office. ANY ideas ?

Help [sig]<p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Here is what I have found in my log file.Media Name: &quot;Media created 09/11/00 06:38:09 PM&quot;
Backup of &quot;\\SERVERX\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes &quot;
Backup set #3 on storage media #1
Backup set description: &quot;Backup&quot;
Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 9/25/00 at 10:59:10 PM.
Mailbox Alfaro, Bryan
Directory ?Alfaro, Bryan?Common Views was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Directory ?last,first name?Finder was not found, or could not be accessed.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Directory ?last,first name?Net Folder Inbox was not found, or could not be accessed.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Directory ?last,first name?Schedule was not found, or could not be accessed.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Directory ?last,first name?Spooler Queue was not found, or could not be accessed.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Directory ?last,first name?Views was not found, or could not be accessed.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Mailbox BKMgr
Folder BKMgr?Common Views
Folder BKMgr?Deferred Action
Folder BKMgr?Finder
Folder BKMgr?Schedule
Folder BKMgr?Shortcuts
Folder BKMgr?Top of Information Store
Folder BKMgr?Top of Information Store?Deleted Items
Folder BKMgr?Top of Information Store?Inbox
Folder BKMgr?Top of Information Store?Outbox
Folder BKMgr?Top of Information Store?Sent Items
Folder BKMgr?Views

Any ideas on whats this means ?

My back up job finishes with success ?

[sig]<p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Looks like BE did not have access to backup those mailboxes. BE lists them as &quot;directories&quot; in the log but its actually failing on just the mailboxes. Go into the Exchange Admin and see what permissions are set on those mailboxes listed in the log. The NT account that BE is using needs to be given admin rights to the mailboxes to back them up properly.
Did it bckup any mailboxes correctly? IF so, compare the permissions on the ones that worked vs. failed. [sig][/sig]

Its not backing up any of the mailboxes . [sig]<p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>Does it ever get easier !<br>
Oh well. <br>
<br>
Party on dude ![/sig]

itll get easier. work out the config kinks and it should run ok. Your backups of just the IS\DS without selecting the mailboxes probably work right? Seen this before.
If its just all of the mailboxes that bomb out with that error then youve got a rights issue. BE is trying to hit those mailboxes using the NT account you specifed that it run as. Did you go into Exchange Admin and give that account admin rights to all of the mailboxes you selected for backup? [sig][/sig]

seniorpete thanks for the help.

Its looks like you are probably right on with your soloution. (Rights issue)

When you say check permissions. Is that the N/T account or the Exchange mailbox permissions.

Question:
How do I check or change the account that B/E runs as on exchange. (I have inherited this problem from the person who set up B/E on this server).

Thanks again, this is very helpful !

[sig]<p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>Does it ever get easier !<br>
Oh well. <br>
<br>
[/sig]

Exchange permissions. You have to go into Exchange Admin and see what rights the account BE is using has on the mailboxes. You need to grant it admin rights on the mailbox in Exchange. NOT NT.

So for e.g. if your BE services are running as &quot;BackupAdmin1&quot; you have to go into the Exchange Admin console of Exchange and give the &quot;BackupAdmin1&quot; act admin rights to all of the mailboxes you want it to be able to backup. That should do it. Wont take too long.

You can check what account BE is using by going into ControlPanel|Services|. Youll see 7 or 8 BE services listed there. Just pick one and double click on it. Itll show you the account BE is using to run the backups of your network.You can change it there. Just make sure its a Domain Admin equiv account. Less trouble.
Also, look for a file called beattach.exe in the BE directory. Its a handy utility for modifying the BE services including the account its using. Dont worry about any of the other settings in it. just use the start, stop, and configure services buttons [sig][/sig]

Well seniorpete you sure know your stuff !

You hit the problem right on the nose.

Thanks to you my backups now work !

Thanks Thanks and more thanks

[sig]<p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br><br>
<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back