Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Exchange (Backup Exec) 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt6350a

Programmer
Feb 10, 2003
US
Do you know a way to back up MS Exchange files and folders using Backup Exec? I have no problems backing up my other drives on my server, but when I try to to back up the drive dedicated to MS Exchange, nothing is saved. (All I want to do is back up everyones e-mail files.)

Have you puchased the Backup Exec Exchange License\Addon ?

License\Addon? Do you mean, did I purchase Backup Exec? Doesn't it come with a license? I am confused. If it comes with a license when you purchase the product, then yes, I have it. I just went to the store, bought the software and expected it to back up everything on my server, not skip MS Exchange.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in order to backup an on-line exchange server you have to buy an additional license for exchange. The base BEX does not come with a exchange license. Without that additional license, you cannot backup your exchange server while it's online. I believe though you can still backup the exchange server without a license if you stop your exchange services (but obviously your exchange server will be down during the backup).

First of all, thank you very much for your time. Secondly, I think I disagree. I just found an article at Veritas: that contradicts what you are telling me....at least I think. Please offer your insight. I do understand your point that there are some services that have to be backed up in a 'special' way, since they are running. That add on I do not have but I am guessing that from the link I just included in this post, it shouldn't matter. Do you agree or am I missing the whole point? Thank you again for your time.

Did you notice this line:

In order to back up these files the Exchange Agent must be installed...

Veritas has several Agents (optional add-ons) for Backup Exec. One of them is the Exchange Option (from Veritas' white papers):

Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server *
Fast, flexible technology to protect vital Exchange
Server 5.5 and 2000 data while the application is
online. This agent provides full or incremental, or
differential backup and restores of all Exchange
Server components- including embedded objects,
attributes and all Outlook components. The Agent for
Microsoft Exchange Server gives administrators the
flexibility to perform full, incremental or differential
individual mailbox backup with selective restores of
individual public folders. Using the Single Instance
Storage feature eliminates backup of duplicate
information by storing only the first instance of
attachments distributed to multiple mailboxes. The
agent for Exchange also enables automatic recreation
of a mailbox and user account during restore --
allowing administrators to easily manage backup and
expedite recovery of data, while consuming less
network, system and media resources.

I believe your backups are failing for the same reasons as the other responders stated...you need the Exchange Agent.

-SQLBill

Sure, you can backup the exchange server. You will not be able to put the mail database back the way it was. The exchange agent is actually an open file option for exchange. Since exchange and the mail database are always open veritas backup exec can not correctly take a snapshot of the data. To take a good snapshot of the mail and be able to reinstall and link the data you need the exchange agent. This is the same for the sql agent and any sql servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back