Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Exchange 5.5 Priv.edb

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbutts

MIS
Jul 15, 2003
US
I have run all the tests and all the switches on my databases, using the eseutil and isinteg with every switch. The tests run through and says it fixes everything, but upon restarting the services, it says that the databases are corrupted. So I run the tests again, and again is says it find problems and fixed them, but it really doesn't! Any ideas?

probably the log files don't match the priv store. Check the FAQ on disaster recovery in this forum and follow to the letter.

I need to be more clear. I just started working for this company, and they have not done backup in over 2 years?? Don't even ask why, I did and did not get an answer. But of course when the server crashes, they say fix it.

Also sometimes when I am running the eseutil /g, I get a message stating a non database file found and the test quits? Any ideas?

Do you have a copy of your dsdata folder from the backup your trying to restore... the Dir.edb would have to match when installing the priv.edb our pub.edb. Either use technet to trouble shoot errors, or rename the current dsdata folder and recover the old one from the backup...

Good luck

B

Run eseutil /mh dir.edb|more and look for the 'State'. If the directory is not consistent, you have serious, but somewhat recoverable, problems. Never run the eseutil with the /p switch on the dir, as Microsoft says it won't work.

If the dir is OK, run eseutil /mh on the priv and pub (always followed by |more). If either one is inconsistent, run eseutil /p on it. If you run the eseutil /p, you MUST remove the edb.log, edb.chk, and edbxxxxx.log files. Failing to do so could cause the database to become corrupted again. You will have windows pop up instructing you to do this whenever you run a hard repair (/p switch), so make sure you do this.

Bob

A quick way to check if it is the database consistency or just one of those quirky MS Exchange problems, download the demo of Power Controls from Ontrack and see if it can open the PRIV.EDB, if so you just need to get Exchange to like the EDB, if not you have bigger probs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back