Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Exchange 5.5 Archive folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwaverly

ISP
Aug 19, 2001
US
I have taken over the management of a NT 4 Server with Exchange 5.5 and I am learning it on the fly.

I am having problems finding Information about the folders and files of the system setup.

My question Is, is ok to delete the files in the Archive folder resideing in exchange\imdata\out or \in? These Files are Ancient, extremly large and the company managment has no interest in restoring them.

Is there a process to it or can I just Right click and delete the individual files?

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I suppose that you mean the folder \exchsrvr\imcdata\in\archive and \exchsrvr\imcdata\out\archive. Those folders are logging-folders. They store the plain text of al incoming and outgoing email. So if you want to reduce the size of these folders you can simply delete them, but you also have to adjust the logging of your incoming en outgoing email.

!!!But take care, not all files can be deleted. If you wanna be sure just rename them and look for a while. If there are problems, just rename them to their original state.

Hope that i could be helpfull.

Ew@ld[bigears]

There should be no problem deleting all the files in these directories. It's only the transaction logs that you have a problem with if you delete them, they should live in an entirely different directory (as specified by the Optimizer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back